So it begins…

Here we are. A new year with new opportunities, new chances, new risks, and new inspirations. Everything around me is changing. Work, friends, the planet, love, life, everything. The past year was a transition into this one. 2008, I feel, will be a year to remember somehow. The year when everything changed. I feel that I have been climbing and climbing and I have reached the peak of whatever this mountain is called. The view is wonderful from here and I can see that the path ahead looks beautiful. Don’t mean to sound to melodramatic here… ;)

Anyway, with all of this freshness I found that it would be a perfect time to dive right into something new with my online presence. My old site, served me well for years and years and years but there was always something in that project that never felt quite right. I tried countless things to be happy with it but I never felt fully satisfied by it so I have decided to leave it behind. Let it sit as a memorial to the time that was spent on it and the thousands of people who wandered through its halls.

Why the change? Why take something that had grown that much and throw it out? Simply put, its time for a change. I have been talking about it forever it seems. I would hint and grand new projects all the time on the pages of but life always somehow got in the way of me taking the plunge. Something always held me back somehow. Sometimes time, sometimes motivation, but here I am. A new beginning.

So, John, whats going to change? Surely you wont stop putting out desktops right?… right!? Nope, desktops will still be a key feature within my online presence. I love to share images with people in this way and I will continue to do so both my own images and hopefully still the occasional guest image. The only difference really will be that the desktops will all be incorporated into the main blog. I have decided to let the categories be well defined and therefore easy to use as quick jumps to the type of content you want to see here on the site.

I will be getting things started right with desktops using images from my recent trip to Europe which just so happens to have been the catalyst for all of this change in my mind. I think I will release images in packs of desktops and some will most likely already be up and available by the time I announce this site to the world officialy.

So all of this out of the way I hope everyone enjoys the new look and the new name. The look of the site has been through a lot of tweaking and trial and error but it has finally settled in my mind. The idea is to make the content king of the site. I wanted photos to be bold and obvious and the navigation to be unobtrusive and out of the way. I can’t thank my friend Dave Jansen from enough for all the help he has given me with the theme here. He was the one who got the great java menus just the way I wanted and helped tame a picky footer and just kind of cleaned up after the mess I made!

Ok, surely this is not the end of the introductory chatter but I just wanted to clue everyone in on my thoughts as all of this change around here is happening.

So here is to a new beginning, and to change, and to happiness and everything else good in this world.

Heres to the future.

1. Owen - January 2, 2008 at 6:46 am

Congrats on the new site. Loved the old one, am sure thsi one will be just as great!

2. john carey - January 2, 2008 at 12:23 pm

3. Jeremiah - January 2, 2008 at 12:42 pm

Also congrats on the new site! I must admit it took me a while to find it. I knew you were off and away but did not realize you had come back.

I also see 2008 as an important year in my life — I’m about to finally graduate from college.

I wish you the best in 2008 and look forward to not only catching your new desktops but also your posts on music, etc.

4. John carey - January 2, 2008 at 3:28 pm

Jeremiah, well im happy you did find it :) I did just get it launched officially and I will be slowly spreading the word about it as I get it content up and all of that good stuff.

I feel its off to a good start and ive gotten some great feedback so i feel good about it.

yep, 2008 will be a year to remember!

5. valmark* - January 3, 2008 at 4:55 pm

someone has got a case of the warm fuzzies! wow, i never imagined i would see the day where it was exuded by you, and to the whole world no less! and i couldn’t be happier. or feel just a tiny miniscule bit responsible. :-)

6. Eth - January 5, 2012 at 8:58 am

Apparently, most (not to say nearly every) desktop I’ve loved and used over the past years originates from this site, through one redirect or another.
    The sun is slowly rising outside and I’ve finished backtracking through the whole site, accompanied by a cup of tea (long gone cold) and a calm playlist ( only to reach a certain state of zen accompanied by a weird feel of unease.
    Took a snapshot for you with my phone only to realize that not everyone can make a frame look as good captured as it is in life.

Not sure really if you’ll ever get around to comments this way back but posting it over here seemed appropriate as I’ve been following your work through the years without ever knowing it myself.

Best of life for you,

7. john - January 6, 2012 at 4:17 am

Eth, ah you made it all the way back to 2007! I’m impressed! I m humbled by the fact that you took the time to dig all the way back through and thrilled that you found enjoyment from it. I am mulling over the definition of unease and I think I understand how you could leave with that feeling, I often feel that way after a long film that I get lost within. Perhaps it’s a similar feeling.

Thanks for sharing the photo and moment there as the dig came to a close, I appreciate you taking the time! I will certainly have to check out that mix you had running. All the best.

8. Alex - January 23, 2016 at 2:14 am

Thrilled to say I have now seen every image on 50ft.

Maybe in a couple years I’ll find the time to read the old posts – but for now: mission accomplished.

I’ve enjoyed the ride thus far John! Looking forward to lots to come in the future!

• Share with friends.

By downloading any content from you agree to the following terms:

All of the images contained within this website,, are property of, John Carey unless otherwise posted. The images are distributed as freeware but they are available for personal use only on your personal computer, tablet, or smartphone as your wallpaper image. Any use of these images for any purpose other than this is a violation of these terms and anyone found using said images will be asked to either compensate the creator for doing so or be asked to stop using them immediately.

I ask that you refrain from using any images found on to create physically printed material of any kind. This includes posters, photographic prints, fliers, etc. Under no circumstances may you make a physical reproduction without written permission.

When sharing images via your personal blogs I kindly ask that you link back directly to either the post the image was taken from or the base of the website at and give a credit to Do not re-post full resolution desktop images anywhere without permission. If you would like to use an image for your blog background or something of the sort simply write to ask first. Support the artwork you admire! Also, it is greatly appreciated if you do NOT link directly to the zip files. This is more or less the same as re-posting them as it circumvents the tiny bit of support I ask of you which is to simply link back to the original post for others to enjoy the site.