Over the years I have had a growing fondness for a good bag/backpack. Im not sure when it started really. Maybe with my first Gregory internal frame backpacking backpack which was stolen a while back and replaced with the newer model of the same bag. I just love a good sturdy bag for my things. This drove me to find Timbuk2 many years ago back in their early days where they only sold a couple of different styles of bags and I loved that bag for a long time, it seemed like it was built from stone or something and I still have it around and use it from time to time when I need an extra bag around. Eventually I thought I should get bag specifically for a laptop so I bought the first laptop bag they made when they started making one and I was happy enough but something always bothered me about it, the construction of the bag was just not up to par with the other bag I bought from them, the materials seemed cheeper and it was not as comfortable or easy to use but for some reason I just put up with it for a long while.

At some point I decided it would be nice to have a mid size backpack for short trips and work, something that would properly hold my laptop and cables as well as a few changes worth of clothes and other sorts of living items you may need on the road. This is when I finally bought a bag from a company that I had been interested in trying for a long while, Spire. What drew me to their bags was the idea that it was a small company working hard on what they loved to do, making and designing bags. I love small companies like this because more times than not you will find that the workmanship is higher than most; kind of what timbuk2 used to be like before they became the empire that they are now. Also with smaller companies you get a much more personal experience with the company because you are buying straight from the people that made it.

At any rate I bought the biggest backpack they made called the Meta and never looked back. It’s the perfect size bag for what I needed and then some. I was more than happy with the construction and fit of the bag and for over a year now I have used it to death. OK, not literally to death seeing as it’s still in as good of condition as the day I bought it which is a lot coming from me because the things I buy tend to go through a lot and I can be pretty rough with the things I always have with me.

So recently I finally was able to get my hands on a replacement to my always annoying every laptop day bag from timbuk2 and I bought a Spire messenger bag, the smallest they offer called the Viro which is for my 15“macbook and I LOVE it. Wonderful, flawless construction and materials and the design gives me just enough space and some extra for when I need it and I tend to carry a lot with me because there are a handful of essentials that I always have around including a camera (sometimes two), a handful of various audio cables, my big headphones, a little power strip, a light meter, my laptop and power supply, various pens, a notepad and a few more odds and ends of things that I tend to use from day to day. The thing I love about the bag is that it feels snug and holds everything close without sacrificing space inside the bag, while I’m wearing it then it does not get in the way like other bags I have used before this and its a wonderful thing because it seems like I am constantly on the move. One of the best parts is that they still manage to be economical, at least in my mind. The Viro here is only $80.

I am writing all this to give my recommendation to anyone in the market for a great backpack/ messenger bag take a minute to check out the great stuff at Spire and write a simple quick review for those of you who may be interested in such things. I always do all sorts of research and digging around for the best stuff I can find on the market within my price range and this is one of those companies that I am so happy to have come across, great products and friendly people making it. Can’t beat that..

Click here to visit their site.

That red in there is a wonderful sleeve I bought for my macbook because I decided to treat this one extra nicely. The padding in the spire for the laptop is actually really nice as well but I still use the sleeve because Im just extra careful with this one. The sleeve is from another amazing company called foof based out of Australia that makes wonderful things as well! Link for them here..

1. Lee - August 15, 2008 at 1:02 pm

You mentioned you bought the Meta, however the picture is of a Mojo bag, which one did you get?

2. john Carey - August 15, 2008 at 1:24 pm

Sorry about the confusion, I updated the post to reflect which one is here. I have owned a Meta for nearly 2 years now I believe and I love it. The bag pictured here is one I just acquired and the reason for the post called the Viro from them. Its my new go to every day bag…

3. john Carey - August 15, 2008 at 1:30 pm

actually, make that three years now! Hard to believe its help up so well this long, its taken me across the western US as well as through europe and countless other small trips between and still feels the same as the day I bought it. If your interested in the meta they also have a new backpack just a little smaller than that that seems really nice too..

4. sunhead* - August 26, 2008 at 7:16 pm

bought it eh? :)

5. Lee - September 10, 2008 at 7:41 am

Thanks for the review John, I’m buying the Endo today (assuming they have one available). I wouldn’t have known about them if not for the post, so thanks!

6. john - September 11, 2008 at 8:24 am

lee, great! i hope you like the bag, i love mine and hope it works out well for you :)

7. Digital Caliper - November 16, 2010 at 4:50 pm

laptop bags using natural leather is my choice because natural leather is much softer and looks better ~:,