iPad/iPhone Wallpapers & Hi-Res

As some of you may have already read I recently started contemplating upping the resolution of my desktop images here on 50ft and after a number of really helpful comments I have decided to do just that and from here on out desktop wallpapers will be released at a 2560×1600 resolution for all you big screen users out there. For the most part, unless your crazy enough to chose a “stretch image to fit screen” option, the aspect ratio should crop naturally to fit all smaller screens out there as well. Also within this change I figured I should go all out and start making two other resolutions available in each zip download as well which are image files for the iPad and iPod Touch/ iPhone.

When researching resolutions and approach to making these two new versions for each desktop I realized that it can get a bit tricky cropping the vision originally had when composing my photos into these new aspect ratios. With the phone/touch I have to rethink the orientation of the image and make it available in a portrait crop and also be mindful of where the clock and slide to unlock bars sit on the screen so I can do my best not to cover up any important aspect of the image with these black bars.

Then, there was the even more complicated task of trying to decide on how to crop images for the iPad home screen which was especially tricky at first because I realized that as the device rotates the orientation changes so its not as simple as having one simply 1024×768 image. They must be cropped at 1024×1024 in order to be scalable to both horizontal OR vertical dimensions and I have to be aware of how the image will look in both positions and attempt to frame the composition to work both ways and make sure nothing too important gets totally cut off in the rotation. Whew.

So what I have done is create a simple photoshop file where I have one semi transparent layer that represents the two different orientations and the square space in the middle that will appear in either rotated state. I simply crop an image down to where I think it will work the best and then drag this layer from that file over to see how it will frame in either orientation. I have also done the same for the iPhone and its black bars composition blockers.

Of course, the iPad resolution and thought process is all but speculation until I get my hands on one or someone confirms this idea for me. PLEASE write and let me know if I am totally wrong in my assumptions here :)

I think that these transparency files could easily benefit others out there who wish to make iPad wallpapers and have them function as well as they possibly can in this new morphing wallpaper world so I have put the iPad and iPhone photoshop file transparencies together in a zip for anyone who wants to play around with what I have been talking about here. You can get that zip by clicking here.

1. Oscar - April 3, 2010 at 2:38 pm

Thanks again

2. Lauren - April 3, 2010 at 2:46 pm

Awesome, thank you!

3. mangochutney - April 6, 2010 at 2:36 am

Thanks for the templates, I can’t believe I didn’t think about doing something like this for the iPhone.

4. Carter - April 6, 2010 at 9:33 am

Precisely what I needed. Thanks.

5. Martin - April 23, 2010 at 11:58 am

Thanks for this. It great to see what is actually seen on the iPad/iPhone.

6. Connor Campbell - June 17, 2010 at 3:01 am

iPad is way too cool to own, i wanna buy one next month.”`*

7. Ashton Cox - July 23, 2010 at 3:52 pm

my girlfriend is going to give me an ipad on my birthday this month.-:`

8. Mohammed Hughes - September 9, 2010 at 4:55 pm

i gave my girlfriend an ipad and she was very very happy”.’

9. TroyG - November 16, 2010 at 7:08 pm

I just wanted to say your images are very nice. Well done.

10. MidO - January 5, 2011 at 12:12 am

A person with a gift, a talent is considered a great person. What you do , sharing your talents , is bigger than a great person. You understand the true meaning of sharing!

11. vizion - July 31, 2011 at 7:09 pm

thanks very much! i’ve been searching the web for months, on and off, looking for these kind of transparencies!!

12. Best Amazing Free iPhone Wallpapers - March 28, 2012 at 4:24 pm

[…] more? Make your own with this Photoshop template from fiftyfootshadows. Or check back here for the free wallpapers I will be posting very […]

13. Caroll Payseur - March 25, 2013 at 7:43 am