50ft Radio Volume One

Well, the time has come and I finally have a new music post for everyone. I have been juggling a few different ideas for where to take the music side of 50ft and I plan on continuing to post more recent favorite albums as I have for a long time now but I would like to introduce something new into the mix and start releasing mixes for readers to discover some great new music and hear a bit of what I have been listening to lately. I have been making mix tapes for friends as long as I can remember, its something that I love to do and sometimes spend weeks compiling a good mix of songs slowly tweaking the ebb and flow of how they work as a whole and this is no exception. I started out simply wanting to make a spring mix to share but it sort of took a turn somewhere and took a life of its own.

The music I have assembled here ended up with a feeling of, lets say, organic exploration… Music that felt warm to me in some way either lyrically or sonically that conjures up some sense of peacefulness within an adventure. This is music for a day deep in the woods or standing on the edge of a canyon looking out into the empty world below, its music for road trips and the beginning of the warm months of the year with birds and cricket sounds sneaking through behind the melodies or, if you are not out exploring, hopefully it will allow you to close your eyes and imagine being somewhere where the wind blows at your back and the sun or moon lights the way forward. It’s a little sad, a little hopeful, a little meandering, its music for the coming of summer.

So anyway, all rambling in an attempt to describe something impossible to describe aside I hope you guys enjoy it. Its a bit of an experiment really and hopefully my servers wont cry too much under the weight of making a bigger file available for readers but feel free to let me know what you think in the comments if you get a chance to listen to it through.

To listen to the mix click here and enjoy! Track list is included in the zip.

A note on the format: I have made the format of the file an AAC file which has been created as an enhanced file for ipod/touch/phone/tunes (or other supported players). The ‘enhanced’ bit refers to the fact that it is one audio file that contains chapter markers and artwork that changes as you listen through it. I have released it as one single audio file because this music is here to share with readers as friends in the same way I would share a mix tape, I am not here to distribute songs to you and therefore am not going to be making individual songs available to anyone. If you like some of the music on here simply look up the artist or song and spend a dollar to support the music you enjoy :)

1. blarghkle - May 13, 2010 at 7:45 pm

Wonderful! I use it for writing with :)

2. Paco - May 14, 2010 at 1:31 am

It would be nice if we could download the tracklist separately so we could see what the mix is. Some of us (me!) have slow internet and if I already know/have most of the songs then I don’t want to both with the struggle to download it.

3. John - May 14, 2010 at 1:49 am

Paco, sorry about that! I have included a link to the track listing above :)

4. Joel - May 14, 2010 at 2:09 am

I really, really like this post and this whole idea. This is probably the neatest way I’ve seen any music blogger present music to be discovered. I love it being in one file. I hope to see more mixes with differing moods so I can throw them on when I’m out and about.

Also, I’ve been a long time fan of your photography!

5. Neil - May 14, 2010 at 6:08 am

I am particularly pleased to see The Tallest Man On Earth make the mix as that is an album I’m enjoying very much at the moment. Still not sure if I like the Bon Iver track, it’s the vocoder which messes me up.

Great idea though and I’ve been listening to it in my car on my way to work today.

6. john - May 14, 2010 at 8:55 am

Im glad its being enjoyed! Neil, yeah the tallest man is great, I’ve been listening to his stuff for quite a while now, actually just worked a concert where I was mixing sound for him, great stuff indeed.

As for the bon iver song, yeah it is a bit strange and I didn’t like it too much at first but it ended up on there because one day during my travels it found it’s way into my headphones at an unexpected moment in the quiet of the desert and each weird little note just happened to connect with me in some fundamental way that caused the song stick with me ever since. In other words, it grows on you I think maybe if you let it in and get passed the tools he happened to use to record it ;) heh, still though, maybe not for everyone and I took a chance puting it on there I know.

7. Phil - May 14, 2010 at 9:08 am

thanks, really nice work :)

8. thedoo - May 15, 2010 at 7:54 am

lovely mix. i’ve been enjoying it a lot. thank you!

9. Alex - May 23, 2010 at 6:29 pm

Some good stuff I hadn’t heard of on here, like it when that happens! Thanks

10. Lisa - May 29, 2010 at 5:46 am

Love it, thanks! Really nice idea of sharing music. And I found some new favourites, especially The Tallest Man On Earth. :)

11. RF - June 25, 2010 at 8:42 am

Great stuff! What software did you use to build the mixtape? It’s superbly executed!

12. john - June 26, 2010 at 8:37 am

RF, the software was simply Apples Garageband. I have fancier production software buts its more than capable really when you figure out a couple of its subtle tricks to get things flowing. :) Happy you enjoyed it!

13. RF - June 26, 2010 at 2:03 pm

Thanks John! Looking forward to the next one. I have become quite a fan of Dan Auerbach.

14. Tim Sondrup - July 13, 2010 at 1:43 am

John, we have similar taste in music. What a great compilation! It’s exactly as you described. I really like the one file idea. I’ll be keeping my eyes open for a your fall mix. ;)

Are you by chance familiar with the musical works of William Fitzsimmons, Gregory Alan Isakov, or Greg Laswell?

(Photographer to photographer, I am also a big fan of your photography style).

15. Tim Sondrup - July 13, 2010 at 1:44 am

(Photographer to photographer, I am also a big fan of your vision).

16. john - July 15, 2010 at 1:14 pm

Tim, Im happy you enjoyed it! I will no doubt have more mixes with this tone to them in the future so keep an eye out. I do know these musicians and they are great! Thanks for the suggestions though, I am always on the lookout for great new music.

17. Eloy - March 1, 2015 at 10:46 am

Interesting content. You should use social websites to increase
    traffic. There are tools which automate this time consuming process.Visitors can flood your page in no time, just type in google for:

Rixisosa’s Social Automation