50ft Radio Volume 3

50ft radio vol. 3

Well, it’s the end of the year and one thing you start noticing all over the web are the top stuff of the year lists. Everyones chance to speak up and lay claim to the highlights of the year within the realm of consumable goods. Among my favorites to look through are the music lists. Offering up opinions of the best music from the year. It is incredible to me just how much music is released each year now in the digital age of music distribution. I often try to write up a best of the year post to counter the big name lists but I thought this year I would simply release a 50ft Radio Mix that have been working on.

This year was one of the best years in recent memory for new music and I was astounded with the amount of amazing new music found this year not only by old favorites but from new artists to the scene. It was hard to keep up! For me most of the year was spend in a good mood and so my usual quiet sensebility was pushed aside for a lot of electronic/dance music as it kept my senses wired and my energy up as the year moved quickly along. I had a great mix of some of my favorite new electronic music to share but the more I thought about it the more I decided to hold off on that upbeat mix for a little while and release something more appropriate for the cold of the winter. Something for the quiet nights staying warm at home, the slow movement of snow falling, the hope and anxiety brought on by a new year and another hopeful fresh start.

So with that in mind I have this great new collection of songs which I have slowly compiled over the past couple of months until it felt just right and in the spirit of the winter and of quiet nights, let’s press on, shal we?

I encourage you to listen to the mix as a whole before digging into the track listing, Just imagine having a dusty old radio on. I think it’s distracting to the music to fiddle with your curiosity too much. Let that urge to be the person that already knows all the music or worries if its worth an hour of your ears concentration slide and have a listen. I love finding new music that way and the track list will be there waiting when you need it. Of course, thats simply a suggestion, your free to do as you please and I have included the track list below.

Listen, share, love, support artists you admire, and enjoy! A zip of the mix is right here.

Note on the file type: This is shared as a single enhanced AAC file which is broken into chapters with alternating artwork as well as links to the bands websites who are featured in the mix. This type of file works beautifully on an iphone/pad/touch/tunes. Please, share music responsibly and support any artists you enjoy here. A PDF track list is available in the zip file.

1. Scott - January 1, 2011 at 11:00 pm

Sweet. Just put it on!

2. Carlos Cabezas - January 3, 2011 at 3:25 am

great music for start a new year with a lot of energy,…

3. Diogo Cunha - January 12, 2011 at 6:40 pm

I can’t uncompress the mix file, the software says its corrupted. Is anyone having this problem? I was so anxious =(

4. Fr. - January 18, 2011 at 3:52 pm

By the way, I think I have identified at least three artists featured in Vol. 1 in episodes 7 and 8 of Skins season 3 (even though they remixed Bon Iver in a pretty bad way).

5. Fr. - January 19, 2011 at 10:45 am

To all other commenters and readers: the download link is a tad capricious, you will need a good bandwidth to download the file properly. Make sure that the final archive shows as a 113.2MB ZIP file in Mac OS X (no idea about Windows). If the file size is lower (or bigger), then your download will not unzip properly.

Volume 3 is just as good as the previous ones, by the way! It’s more in line with Volume 1 than Volume 2 was, at least IMHO. The selection is marvellous. Those who do not know Skip James will love the second track (the Coen brothers also like his work a lot; it’s always wonderful to rediscover gems like these).

– A happy listener

6. Fr. - February 10, 2011 at 9:05 pm

Oh, and the Flying Lotus track… Recommended to all fans of Sun Ra, Burial or Nosaj (saw this last one play with Flying Lotus in Paris a few months ago, excellent stuff).

7. Book of Saturday » 50ft - February 14, 2011 at 7:02 am

[…] third volume of 50ft is out, and it is just as excellent as the previous ones. Tell me what you […]

8. Tyler - March 18, 2012 at 2:41 am

I liked the more recent editions of these mixes, so I went looking for the old ones. This one is 404’d. Bummer.

9. Tyler - March 18, 2012 at 2:42 am

err, nevermind.

10. Nathaniel - May 24, 2012 at 7:34 pm

The Clogs track sounds like Johnny Cash. =]

11. Renato - July 6, 2013 at 5:16 am

MediaFire says that the file is set to private, so I can’t download it :/