Looking Ahead

Many of you have been asking recently about the often referenced new design coming “soon” here on 50ft. Rest assured that it is in fact still on its way. Due to some delays in the coding and ongoing tweaks to the design I have had to push back its launch a few months but hopefully if all goes according to plan I will be launching sometime in March. It may seem like forever but I fully plan on having the new look be around for a long time to come and I may as well get it as close to perfect as I can manage. In preparation for the changes I have been working on a lot of fresh ideas and fun new projects to introduce on the site. Some of them will take time to be fully realized but I hope to have one that has been a long time coming ready within a week or two of launch and that is a photo book.

I have been publishing here on fiftyfootshadows.net for a little over three years and if you include my previous online projects I have been making and sharing wallpapers online for over 10 years. In the three years with 50ft I have shared over 300 photographs in wallpaper form and I have long considered creating a book to document the journey so far. Upon doing research and preparation to make this long standing goal a reality I came to find that publishing every single image would simply be too expensive to justify and realized a condensed collection of fan and personal favorites would be equally as satisfying.

This is where I need your help.

I don’t want to overlook anyones favorite photos in the process of curating the book and would love to hear feedback on which wallpaper images you have enjoyed the most over the years. This means any photos of my own creation and excludes the reader favorite Flickr Spotlight posts which I plan to bring back this year as things settle in with the new layout.

The book itself will be printed in a limited quantity,  I have yet to decide on exactly how many copies I will be making available but I am leaning toward only printing 50 copies to add to the value of the purchase. It is, after all, a milestone in the progression of the site as well as my work as a photographer in showcasing this side of my photographic journey. I am still exploring printing methods and am deciding between a few ideas. The largest factor in this is of course the end price. I am looking for the best combination of price and quality and I can’t bring myself to just settle on the first printer that I come across. I am all too picky for that and hope the attention to this detail will be appreciated for those of you who end up with a copy.

So everyone, time to voice your opinion, what are your favorite wallpaper images here on fiftyfootshadows.net? Leave a comment here in this post or mail me at fiftyfootshadows[at]gmail.com. I will take any and all suggested images into consideration and will update this post when I finnish the process of collecting images. Thanks so much for the help!

(the image here was a desktop from way back in 2008)

1. Pratik - March 1, 2011 at 9:23 pm

I def think that some of the walls you posted from your trip should make it into the collection.

2. Christopher Michon - March 1, 2011 at 9:33 pm

My favorites are from the minimal beach series. Specifically the sea gulls and sand.

3. Blair Doherty - March 1, 2011 at 9:33 pm

Hi John,

I look forward to the book! I only hope i’m able to get my hands on one of the very limited quantity.

Of course, I think almost all your walls should be published, but one popped into my mind straight away:

Thanks again for the beautiful shots :)

4. Denzyl - March 1, 2011 at 9:54 pm

My favorites are the Grand Canyon shots and the bud coming out of the ground.

By the way, this sounds like it could be a great Kickstarter project.

5. Emma - March 1, 2011 at 11:31 pm

I absolutely love all your wallpapers, but my favourite would have to be:

Use it all the time.

6. JR007 - March 2, 2011 at 2:37 am

Sorry to sound so vague, but, no.1, your site is amazing and no.2, all your walls and photos are outstanding!!! I truly enjoy seeing all of them and I enjoy all of them.

PS, good luck with the book. I wish we could buy one.

7. facedddd - March 2, 2011 at 5:01 am

this is my favorite. thanks! excited to see what you come up with for this book!

8. Jon - March 2, 2011 at 1:37 pm

I’m a massive fan of Forest through the trees, Casting shadows and Going home… hope they make it!

Good luck!

9. Jorge Quinteros - March 2, 2011 at 2:13 pm

I’m an admirer of all the photographic wallpapers you’ve posted so far, so it’s difficult to pin point which ones I would like to see included in the book.

As for the creation of the book itself, Blurb has been receiving a lot of praise for making it easy for one to create books. I’m rooting for the limited edition idea because it will certainly add value to it. I’m sold on purchasing one already so at this point, it’s all about knowing when it will be available.

10. naturalismus - March 2, 2011 at 2:36 pm

11. Pete - March 2, 2011 at 7:31 pm

I agree with everyone else; it’s really hard to pick a favourite!
    Some desktops I’ve used longer than other’s though are:

12. anthony mason - March 2, 2011 at 10:38 pm

hi, have you considered print on demand, that way it wouldn’t cost you anything and your book wouldn’t be limited.

I write and publish poetry and art books and could create a book for you as i have experience, i wouldn’t charge but expect a favour of somekind perhaps a link to my work somewhere, for the time it takes. i would create a username and do the book in your name then hand over the login details of the book pod publisher to you where u would then link it to your paypal and change your login details.

it would be a pdf doc in a size of your choice and have no odd resizing of the images

13. anthony mason - March 2, 2011 at 10:42 pm

ps my fave is the one with the notepad and pen, and the orange typewriter tab one;)

14. Justin W Siddons - March 2, 2011 at 10:47 pm

Hey John,

As I’ve said in the past, I’ve been collecting your desktops since twistedsun.net days. And your photographs have been something that has dictated the mood of the day for me for years. They are all that lives on my desktop, on all my computers, even at work and I’m constantly getting compliments based off of them. So naturally it’s hard for me to pick one or two favorites so I decided to create a flickr set of the desktops that have been displayed the most on my monitors over all these years. Thanks for the awesome pics and I look forward to the book. :)

15. Lukas Hillebrand - March 2, 2011 at 11:45 pm

Hello John – I discovered your website a few months ago and check it everyday for new photos! maybe you should publish them all? thanks & ciao :)

16. Carlos Cabezas - March 3, 2011 at 9:55 pm

Thank you so much for your site, your pictures are very especial to me, I will love to buy the book and I am looking forward to see your next project,.
    God bless you in every moment.

17. Michel Dupre - March 4, 2011 at 3:52 pm

I forgot this picture in the mail.
    As Far As You Can.

18. John carey - March 4, 2011 at 9:24 pm

Thanks so much everyone! This has been very helpful, ll of the advice I have gotten so far has been wonderful. Keep it coming :)