Update: Time to close the joke here, I think its had well enough time to work its magic but fear some may be glancing at this in the good ol’ internet short attention span way and thinking this is how things will be in the future. Didn’t mean to scare off anyone! In response to this I have decided to go ahead and start writing up an article with my thoughts on watermarks in todays online world and post it in the next few days. It’s a big topic but something I have been considering writing about for some time now as its kind of fascinating in a way. For the record I will never add such mess to images posted here on 50ft, promise! Funny to end up with my foot in my mouth here, lesson learned. Don’t use your own product as the punchline ;) I left my original text down below as well as the image in its normal calm loveliness.

Note: The following is a satire. (Well, I really hate to have to do this guys but image theft is running out of control with my photographs online. Wallpaper sites, iPad and iPhone apps, posters, they are everywhere I turn it seems and so something just had to change. While I usually frown upon the use of watermarks I am left with no choice! I like to think I have come up with an elegant solution for the watermark problem though. Simple, clean, efficient. It’s even Helvetica so I won’t loose too much street cred with my younger audience. All in all I think this is the right way to go with the wallpaper images to keep them safe from theft. I hope not too many of you mind this change, It’s something I have thought long and hard about and those few tiny pixels in the corner just were not cutting it anymore.)

So that mess out of the way, I can talk about the shot a little. As you may have noticed it’s from the same pier as the last desktop only a few seconds later and a minute or two away from twilight. I think it’s amazing how fast the sun feels like its moving in those last moments of sunlight. The slow transformation of colors across the sky and on the ground never gets old, especially in open spaces like this. As for the direct, centered composition, I think the bench there on the right gives a subtle balance to the weight of the sun on the left side of the image but maybe I’m just reading into it too much. Really, I simply like the feeling of calm I get from looking at this shot and hopefully it can bring that feeling to you as well.

1. Gridlock'd - April 1, 2011 at 6:26 am

I sincerely hope it’s a April’s Fool prank… A watermark would definitely ruin your always beautiful work. By the way, congratulations on your consistency, quality and outstanding work.

2. Dexter - April 1, 2011 at 7:27 am

Haha, good one. You had me.

3. Jonny - April 1, 2011 at 8:01 am

This is the first prank I fell for on April Fool’s and I’m only an hour in at 1am.. doesn’t bode well for the rest of my day!

4. Nitin - April 1, 2011 at 8:28 am

sharing stuff is good but sharing without credits to the original author is really not the right thing to do

i got no complaints with watermark :D

5. Carlos Cabezas - April 1, 2011 at 11:22 am

you had me in this one,..April fool’s.

6. L - April 1, 2011 at 1:27 pm

Omg you totally had me!
    I was already stressing about where to find wallpapers for my macboook. Damn.

7. Maria - April 1, 2011 at 1:29 pm

You got me. :) I was devastated for a whole minute.

8. Matt Hayhurst - April 1, 2011 at 1:29 pm

You had me too. I clicked the iPad link just to see how bad it would be with the mark and was pleasantly surprised to find the image mark-free. Good one.

9. Matus - April 1, 2011 at 1:51 pm

You got me too…I was REALLY devastated since here in Mexico we do the April’s Fool on December.
    I realized it was a joke like ten minutes later.

Yet, I agree…if somebody wants to share, we must send the link to the author’s website, that way you share all his art.

10. John Carey - April 1, 2011 at 2:07 pm

Hehe, now im worried people will believe me here! Agh! I would NEVER do this! Don’t worry! :D (added a note before the download link because to clear it up. Guess my next post will be an article from my future posts list, one about watermarks and how I feel about them. A loaded topic I know.)

11. Kaelri - April 1, 2011 at 2:13 pm

I definitely did not download the image, open it in Photoshop and try for fifteen minutes to reveal the watermark layer. Nope. That didn’t happen.

12. Caroline - April 1, 2011 at 2:18 pm

Hey! I love your work! Was shocked about the Watermark, because it ruins everything, but now that people are mentioning April Fools I’m hoping that it is just that…
    BUT – sharing without credits or consent is definitely not okay!
    Anyway, thank you for all the beautiful desktops I really depend on them!

13. Michel Dupre - April 1, 2011 at 9:33 pm

I think it’s very likely what you’re doing, because in one way or another we have to defend what one does and personally for your part in what you work.
    I hope everything is resolved in a good way.

14. Neil - April 1, 2011 at 10:22 pm

I thought it was funny!

15. Jonathan - April 3, 2011 at 7:27 pm

Hey man, not pointing out or anything but there is a mistake on the link for the file download that is CICK instead of CLICK…

Cheers and am a big fan of your work…

16. Val - April 4, 2011 at 10:36 pm

Haha! What a monster I have created! :):)

17. Emma - April 5, 2011 at 8:22 am

haha oh wow you got me ^^
    thanks for sharing this beautiful wallpaper :D

18. [Pokaż] swoje biurko - October 9, 2011 at 12:13 pm

[…] Napisał PatrolekPL @Davvido, można tapetkę? Countdown : Komputer: MacBook Pro 13-calowy: 2,26 GHz Telefon: iPhone 4 16 GB iMessage: […]

• Share with friends.

By downloading any content from you agree to the following terms:

All of the images contained within this website,, are property of, John Carey unless otherwise posted. The images are distributed as freeware but they are available for personal use only on your personal computer, tablet, or smartphone as your wallpaper image. Any use of these images for any purpose other than this is a violation of these terms and anyone found using said images will be asked to either compensate the creator for doing so or be asked to stop using them immediately.

I ask that you refrain from using any images found on to create physically printed material of any kind. This includes posters, photographic prints, fliers, etc. Under no circumstances may you make a physical reproduction without written permission.

When sharing images via your personal blogs I kindly ask that you link back directly to either the post the image was taken from or the base of the website at and give a credit to Do not re-post full resolution desktop images anywhere without permission. If you would like to use an image for your blog background or something of the sort simply write to ask first. Support the artwork you admire! Also, it is greatly appreciated if you do NOT link directly to the zip files. This is more or less the same as re-posting them as it circumvents the tiny bit of support I ask of you which is to simply link back to the original post for others to enjoy the site.