tiny wave 1

Tiny Waves

Whew, it certainly has been a while since I have been able to do a desktop post has it not? Sorry for the slow down, it happens sometimes when I get too busy with work but I plan on making up for lost time and start taking the 5D out with me to work and around town in an effort to get some new images to share. A few days ago I found some time to head out to my favorite lake again but this time to a new area within the lake. The trailhead and parking area I had used for years closed down and left me to find a new access point on the opposite side but I will admit there are some great new places for me to explore in light of the change. I will admit to these images not being my most striking but I really wanted to get something up so I made the best of what I had snapped that day and decided to go with a few shots of water washing up on the shore. These waves were oh so tiny as they crashed onto the dark brown sandy shore. It was hard to get my wide 35mm lens close enough in to snag these shots and while the camera and lens did end up getting wet it wasn’t so bad it broke anything.

Upon sitting down with them in Aperture I decided to take a different approach to my usual fare and go crazy with post processing. Using some heavy curves and liberal tinting I came up with these variations. I know that I often speak of the benefits of not relying heavily on post and I don’t mean this as a contradiction to my standards but it is important for everyone to know that I am not against heavy post work, I simply encourage anyone wanting to better themselves as a photographer to learn to get great photos without relying heavily on the computer to fix your images for you. I find that at least 50 percent of the time that a lot of post work actually takes away from an image and often sucks a lot of emotion out of a photograph but I will leave these discussions for another day.

tiny waves 2

tiny waves 3

tiny waves 4

1. RobbeVDC - May 4, 2011 at 4:16 pm

Simply amazing. Thanks!

2. naturalismus - May 4, 2011 at 5:53 pm

3. Dave - May 4, 2011 at 6:04 pm

Love it!!! Thank you!

4. David - May 4, 2011 at 9:06 pm

They’re all gorgeous. I particularly like the color tone on the first and third ones. You should share the PSD’s (or what have you) on those, I’m salivating to get my hands on those adjustment layers. :-P

5. George - May 4, 2011 at 9:42 pm

Amazing stuff, as always!

6. David - May 5, 2011 at 1:31 am

Thanks, these are some great photos!

7. carlos cabezas - May 8, 2011 at 4:32 am

Amazing Pictures,… I am glad your Camara did NOT broke,…great spectrum of colors….
    Thanks J.

8. Phil - May 10, 2011 at 8:20 am

fantastic ! :)

9. sunhead - May 11, 2011 at 12:45 am

pretty crazy that we just talked about this today and i had the inkling to grab a new desktop since it’s been so long and… there you go. :)

10. Vivian Verswyvel - June 19, 2011 at 10:59 am

Beautiful pictures! You’ve been featured on iconpaper :)