Film Transport

While it is often convenient just tossing an extra roll of film into your bag while out and about there are times when having a few rolls around is not a bad idea. For me, I tend to over prepare when it comes to my day to day supplies for photography. You will often find me with no less than two of my cameras on me not including my iPhone which to me is more like half a camera, cute and fun but nothing that I would want to use for any honest captures. As many of you know I am a bit of a film nut and so along with these cameras I am keen on carrying a few rolls around with me because I move around a lot and really never quite know where I may end up or for how long so I like to be prepared.

This is where having a good place to carry and store film on the go is nice, keeps things tidy and organized. I spent a long time digging around online for products that were designed to transport film but it would seem due to the increasing niche like nature of such a product it is increasingly hard to get your hands on something nice without a fair amount of digging.

The first case that I tried was a Pelican, it was handy and they did have one size that worked for my needs after cutting out the rubber interior but for a small case it added way to much bulk to what I needed around and I wasn’t planning on needing something water tight enough to survive a natural disaster so I continued to look for something more simplified.

This lead me to discover a simple carrying case that was intended to carry six rolls of 35mm film without the film’s original plastic tube container and they were super cheap so I ordered four of them to test out. While they did the job I was left unsatisfied because the only way they held the film securely was if the case was totally full of six rolls of film. Take one out and the rest just slide about freely inside the case. I actually ended up using these for my 120 Medium Format films and they are able to hold four rolls of 120 each which ended up being just right for my needs. While not perfect it does the job just fine for 120 transport.

So then I came across the case pictured above and below, a perfect fit. With its ice cube tray like design it allows the film to sit in the case securely and makes for easy organization. While I may not go scuba diving with this in tow, the plastic shell seems to provide a fair amount of protection from the elements which is nice to have at times. Its hard plastic feels durable and when its all closed up its a solid brick of protection. I could easily recommend this to anyone else who travels with 35mm film often. Sure wish they still made a version of this for 120 film but apparently that has been out of production far to long for me to track down any for sale.

In all of my searching these appear to only be available in Japan as they are manufactured by FujiFilm and lucky for us there is one tiny photography web shop based in Japan that carries these wonderful cases. From what I gather they either get them straight from FujiFilm when you order them or from a shop somewhere locally as the shipping will take a while but for me it was well worth the wait. You can find the shop here, which also sells a number of other great things including cameras and film.

To download a wallpaper of the images in the article simply CLICK OR RIGHT CLICK HERE to download a zip file containing the destkop, iPhone, and iPad versions. Terms of use are also in the zip file and indicate that NO commercial use is allowed without permission. These are for your personal use only and can not be redistributed in their full resolutions without permission. If you would like to share an image, use the smaller versions here and always link back to the original post. Thanks so much for your understanding and support!

iPad direct access: ONE TWO iPhone direct access: ONE TWO

1. Ichikasuto - June 22, 2011 at 6:25 pm

Seems the iPhone links and the article link aren’t working for me.

2. john - June 22, 2011 at 7:25 pm

whoops, all fixed up, had the wrong dash in there.

3. JR007 - June 23, 2011 at 10:31 am

Everything seems to be amazing, thank you for sharing. But the wallpaper link to download the zip file is broken. Get an error. Could you please fix?

Appreciate it and your site is amazing, always!

4. Tim Visher - June 23, 2011 at 11:02 am

Really love your site! I’m pretty much religious about downloading your wallpapers. Some of my favorite in my collection.

That said, I second JR007’s comment. Hope it gets fixed soon! :)

5. Tim Visher - June 23, 2011 at 12:33 pm

BTW, based on your comment above you did the same thing. Just s/_/-. :)

6. john - June 23, 2011 at 2:21 pm

haha, just could not seem to get the links right could I? Must be rusty. I didn’t realize the zip link was backwards too, should be all functional now. Sorry about that!

7. Neil - June 23, 2011 at 3:00 pm

I like the way you’ve stamped your own brand on the container so cool. Good solution.

8. valerie Swan - July 25, 2011 at 5:57 am

i’ve gone through my first roll of film… :) where’s the typewriter photo?