There is a place that you would think only existed in photographers dreams. A place full of more tiny, amazing little camera shops than you could imagine. Some specialize in certain things like film developing, lighting, repairs, or film cameras but many have a bit of everything. Window displays are full of what seems like hundreds of cameras and lenses new and old and one could feel satisfied from window shopping alone. Locals are spoiled by it’s resources but for someone only there for a short time such as myself it feels like heaven for my photography geek side. This area is the Cungmuro district in Seoul, South Korea.

This neighborhood is one of two in the city with a treasure trove of photography shops. The other area, Namdaemun, is fantastic as well but is more focused on newer digital cameras and not as quaint and fun to visit. Chungmuro is also a hub for printing and film industries in Seoul, the photography stores are all nestled into a couple of blocks within the area.

At any rate, on the second floor of one of the buildings in this area there is an amazing toy camera store called simply Toy Camera and it’s one of my favorite shops to visit because Of it’s relaxed atmosphere and always growing supply of film, cameras, and accessories. They also have a small repair shop where, among other things, they repair and refurbish old Polaroid cameras like the SX-70 and Land Camera Polaroids (and seem tightly affiliated with the Impossible Project Polaroid film group).

Which leads me to the subject of the photo above, the work space found inside the shop space at Toy Camera. A beautifully lit home for repair work. Some of you may recognize this space from a photo I shared over on flickr of the same space taken with my Hasselblad. I thought the image here shot with my 5D would make for a great desktop for any photo geeks out there like myself.

1. Carlos Cabezas - July 1, 2011 at 4:55 am

Great Work Place,. !!!! great Picture… thanks J.

2. Jason - July 2, 2011 at 3:30 pm

Awesome picture and i want ask that which host you r using?

3. Danielle - May 17, 2012 at 1:49 am

Thanks for the info. I am looking for seamless background paper so that I can take some studio shots. Have you seen any in the photography shops that you have been to? I would just order some online, but I need it within the next few days, if possible.

4. John - May 17, 2012 at 2:27 am

You are referring to within Seoul right? I will email you directly, should be easier.

5. Susan - March 19, 2014 at 1:38 am

Hey there,
    First off great blog and great photos!! :-) i just giot into this whole film thing and loving it! I live in suwon myself. I recently prurchased a canon AE-1 of ebay. It need some TLC. Light leaks from the back causing light flares on all my pictures. Would this shop also repair old slr’s or do they just fix polaroids?

Thanks for your time in advance!

6. john - March 19, 2014 at 11:39 am

I would recommend a different shop that specializes in camera and lens repairs old and new, they have always been really reasonable with pricing and do great, fast work.

Here is a Naver page linking to them:
    And their website:

Good luck with the camera! Also, check out fotomaru for film developing! My favorite around there:

• Share with friends.

By downloading any content from you agree to the following terms:

All of the images contained within this website,, are property of, John Carey unless otherwise posted. The images are distributed as freeware but they are available for personal use only on your personal computer, tablet, or smartphone as your wallpaper image. Any use of these images for any purpose other than this is a violation of these terms and anyone found using said images will be asked to either compensate the creator for doing so or be asked to stop using them immediately.

I ask that you refrain from using any images found on to create physically printed material of any kind. This includes posters, photographic prints, fliers, etc. Under no circumstances may you make a physical reproduction without written permission.

When sharing images via your personal blogs I kindly ask that you link back directly to either the post the image was taken from or the base of the website at and give a credit to Do not re-post full resolution desktop images anywhere without permission. If you would like to use an image for your blog background or something of the sort simply write to ask first. Support the artwork you admire! Also, it is greatly appreciated if you do NOT link directly to the zip files. This is more or less the same as re-posting them as it circumvents the tiny bit of support I ask of you which is to simply link back to the original post for others to enjoy the site.