here we wait

Here We Wait

When I noticed these chairs hiding behind a large abandoned truck trailer I knew I had to shoot them. Problem was that it was a work day and I was on my way to a concert with a fully loaded truck of audio gear. A quick split second glance is all it usually takes to know when you have something potentially interesting on your hands. Making your way through the network of tiny highways in the U.S. you find all kinds of interesting things to shoot, something admitadly I don’t do it often enough. I made a point on the way back home, where I had another event waiting for me, to stop for a couple of minutes to grab a few shots of the piles of colorful chairs.

While under the watchful arm of the minute hand I made a quick survey of the old chairs and was thankful for the decent afternoon light to work with. I shot my way through the piles grabbing as many different interesting viewpoints as I could manage in a short period of time and while I was left with a bunch of mediocre, rushed imagery in the end I did manage to salvage a couple of nice desktop images to share here.

here we wait again

I typically don’t lean on post work to heavily, this time around I made an exception and utilized a fair amount of bending to the curves, added a bit of color tinting, and a touch color specific luminance control to help a weird white balance saturation issue in my yellows. I realize it’s a bit on the heavy side but I felt it would be fun to lay it on a bit thick this go round.

I mention this because while I do encourage others to push out a reliance on post work to make images there are times where you just have to do what you have to do to grab a shot quickly and then use what tools you have available to you to clean things up later on. I have decided to post thumbnails here so those interested can see what I started with before cleaning these images up and helping them stand on their own. The images below are straight out of the camera, not horrible but because the sun had not quite reached its full potential I used post tools to help them get closer to what I wanted to capture.

here we before

1. DavidR - August 30, 2011 at 3:32 am

To me, and for no reason I can explain, I think these are the most breathtaking images I’ve seen on FiftyFootShadows (though admittedly I’ve only been a follower for about a year.) Something about the lighting and the subject (always loved these retro chairs) I really like. I love the low contrast in the unedited versions, but the processed ones are mighty purdy too. Thanks!

2. Dave - August 30, 2011 at 5:30 am

These are seriously amazing. Great job John!!!

3. Karla - August 30, 2011 at 5:36 am

I also think post editing are okay as long they are minor, like contrast and color. I think it can bring out the best potential of a photo, like the one in this post. I personally like the post edited photos. :)

4. muaad - August 30, 2011 at 11:26 am

i really think that these pictures are simply wonderful ,

5. Lauren - August 30, 2011 at 4:41 pm

Absolutely stunning ~ amazing mood!

6. Kureb - September 1, 2011 at 1:41 am

I cant open the zip files… Can anyone help me?

7. john - September 1, 2011 at 3:27 am

Hey there Kureb, I checked the Zip and things seem to be ok with it. Nine times out of ten its simply a hiccup in the download and simply re-downloading the file clears up the issue. If you still have trouble let me know and I can get them to you another way, thanks!

8. Ben - November 19, 2011 at 11:31 am

You are an artist.
    In the old-fashioned sense of the word. The very moment I first see most of your photographs I can’t help but feel like I am sucked right into them and transported to the place and time they were taken. I completely agree to one of the above commenters; these are amongst the most stupendous pieces I have seen on your site, which itself is one of the most astonishing places on the entire internet.

• Share with friends.

By downloading any content from you agree to the following terms:

All of the images contained within this website,, are property of, John Carey unless otherwise posted. The images are distributed as freeware but they are available for personal use only on your personal computer, tablet, or smartphone as your wallpaper image. Any use of these images for any purpose other than this is a violation of these terms and anyone found using said images will be asked to either compensate the creator for doing so or be asked to stop using them immediately.

I ask that you refrain from using any images found on to create physically printed material of any kind. This includes posters, photographic prints, fliers, etc. Under no circumstances may you make a physical reproduction without written permission.

When sharing images via your personal blogs I kindly ask that you link back directly to either the post the image was taken from or the base of the website at and give a credit to Do not re-post full resolution desktop images anywhere without permission. If you would like to use an image for your blog background or something of the sort simply write to ask first. Support the artwork you admire! Also, it is greatly appreciated if you do NOT link directly to the zip files. This is more or less the same as re-posting them as it circumvents the tiny bit of support I ask of you which is to simply link back to the original post for others to enjoy the site.