Last week I had the urge to go out shooting so my brother and I took off chasing the sun as it sank lower into the sky. We found a couple of nice new spots to explore as we drove blindly down streets unfamiliar to either of us. The smaller the road became, the more interesting the surroundings. Sometimes it surprises me to discover how many places I have yet to discover within a city I have lived in for so very long. The spot where this photo was taken was in a field near the runway of an airport, overgrown with weeds and brush yet the whole place was glowing in the the light of the last five minutes of sun during the day. I love how delicate this one little piece of this bush was and the way it seemed to stretch so perfectly upward with its gentle curve. The wide aperture took this little wisp of a twig and gave it life. I love the ever so slight way that it drifts out of focus toward the top.

As the sun dipped below the horizon we started to head back and along the way discovered a great new spot to go relax at the end of the day. It may seem odd to some of you but it’s a new gas station that serves cheap food and has a few tables both outside and in. The nice thing about it is that the seating has this fantastic view. It sits right next to an airport field and faces west so you get this wonderful view of the sunet over the field. The thing that drew me to this place, however, was the fact that while I was there I had that unmistakeable feeling of being somewhere that does not at all remind me of home. That subtle high that I get while traveling places unfamiliar to me. I thirst for that feeling and it’s exciting to find it, even when it’s somewhere unexpected like while sitting at a random gas station overlooking an airport. I find great comfort within this kind of place and its a feling I cherish any time I manage to grab hold of it. These moments are easy to miss so keep an open mind and your eyes open because, at least in my experience, it can lead to a feeling of peace not often found otherwise in your daily life.

1. Carlos Cabezas - November 30, 2011 at 6:59 pm

Thank you J, for this wonderful pictures, =)

2. Kenneth Rawlings - November 30, 2011 at 7:07 pm

I’ve been following your work for a while and thought it was about time I thanked you for sharing your work. Thank you!

3. Neil - December 1, 2011 at 12:14 am

This is just epic. One of your best I think.

4. Krzysztof - December 1, 2011 at 7:36 pm

Amazing! So pretty! I like your other shots too! Thank you!

5. mariagrace - December 2, 2011 at 4:31 pm

Just wanted to say that I love your photos. I use them for my mobile devices all the time. So awesome.

6. Lukas - December 2, 2011 at 4:42 pm

Awesome! your pictures are always my favorites for Desktop backgrounds! thanks!!

7. iey - December 2, 2011 at 9:36 pm

it’s beautiful.

8. toctan - December 8, 2011 at 3:45 pm

so pretty!I like it very much

9. Mr Milky - January 26, 2012 at 3:44 pm

Thanks for the pic, it looks great as my wallpaper.

• Share with friends.

By downloading any content from you agree to the following terms:

All of the images contained within this website,, are property of, John Carey unless otherwise posted. The images are distributed as freeware but they are available for personal use only on your personal computer, tablet, or smartphone as your wallpaper image. Any use of these images for any purpose other than this is a violation of these terms and anyone found using said images will be asked to either compensate the creator for doing so or be asked to stop using them immediately.

I ask that you refrain from using any images found on to create physically printed material of any kind. This includes posters, photographic prints, fliers, etc. Under no circumstances may you make a physical reproduction without written permission.

When sharing images via your personal blogs I kindly ask that you link back directly to either the post the image was taken from or the base of the website at and give a credit to Do not re-post full resolution desktop images anywhere without permission. If you would like to use an image for your blog background or something of the sort simply write to ask first. Support the artwork you admire! Also, it is greatly appreciated if you do NOT link directly to the zip files. This is more or less the same as re-posting them as it circumvents the tiny bit of support I ask of you which is to simply link back to the original post for others to enjoy the site.