The night of the wedding we were given a large three room suite as part of the wedding package high up on the 23rd floor. The view overlooked Seoul and what was forecast as a rainy day a few days beforehand ended up being a beautiful afternoon.

We had all of our friends over to the suite after the wedding for wine and finger food. As the sun began to set the many photographers, including YoungDoo and I, in attendance were all glued to the windows as an epic sunset rolled across the city below.

Time slowed and the sun and buildings seemed to sing to us. Even as the sun dipped behind the edge of the horizon the world seemed to be putting on a show just for those of us in that room. Lights around the city started to slowly trickle into existence and subtly mimicked the few stars in the sky that crept through the cities impeding glow.

One by one the guests started to leave until it was just the two of us alone among empty plates and wine bottles. Everything seemed so very quiet and at once I felt a calm fall down onto me and I knew something great had just taken place, something we would not soon forget.

Night fell deeper, the city grew quiet as a bitter cold wind started to echo through the streets yet I put my mind at ease because I knew that from that day forward, no wind would ever feel quite as cold, no room would be as empty, and my heart would, from that day on, have nothing left to fear.

Sorry, no desktop this time. I was posting this photo to flickr simply for the sake of sharing something new and as I looked at it before making it public some thoughts started to come to mind so I started to write the above. I was laying around here in our room and decided it may be nice to share it here as well because I know not everyone follows along on flickr and its something I wanted to share. Just a memory that was brought back to me through this photograph. I love that about photography. Its power to rekindle memories is uncanny and I am thankful to have the ability to capture things within my life this way. I don’t often get too sentimental here on 50ft but I figured why not share a little bit of the joy I felt that day with all of you.

1. Tom McLaughlan - April 15, 2012 at 6:49 am

A beautiful occasion marked with beautiful words in celebration of a beautiful wedded couple. Perfect!

2. Arnaud - April 15, 2012 at 7:22 am

Thank you for sharing these beautiful memories with us. Without your words, this lovely photograph would have just been lovely – but now it takes a whole new dimension and I can feel like I was here, attending at this wedding. So thank you for this moment of pure happiness, I’m really grateful for that. :)

3. SoundMan - April 15, 2012 at 4:38 pm

I have to say it was magical.

4. Aqeel Fikree - April 15, 2012 at 5:33 pm

Capturing a moment in time, with a photo, is one thing, but then bringing it back to life with expressive and vivid words is another ball game. A talent that not a lot master, but you do, and brilliantly at that.

Thanks for sharing the moment both visually and verbally.

5. Len - April 16, 2012 at 12:38 am

Wish you a good life with your be loved.

The sunset is truly amazing.

6. sunhead* - April 16, 2012 at 12:47 am

looking out at a very bright future indeed. Sláinte to JohnDoo!<3<3<3

7. DavidR - April 17, 2012 at 12:49 am

Congrats brother!

8. Gilang - April 17, 2012 at 9:48 am

Definitely beautiful.

9. James - April 23, 2012 at 11:02 pm

Congrats, man!

10. Cory - February 28, 2013 at 12:52 am

I stumbled upon your website while looking through photographs online, finding myself transported in time and emotion. I have spent the better part of the past hour in awe of your work, you have a way in perfectly capturing each picture as a frozen homage to a time and event in your life that speaks to everyone. I’ve dabbled in photography since college in the 90’s, before the digital age, and now work in both (as purely a hobby). It has been a long time since I have ventured out on one of my journey’s to capture life as I experience it and I simply wanted to express my gratitude as your imagery and artistry have inspired me again.

Congratulations on your upcoming one year anniversary, I wish you and yours all the love in the world…. and thank you.

• Share with friends.

By downloading any content from you agree to the following terms:

All of the images contained within this website,, are property of, John Carey unless otherwise posted. The images are distributed as freeware but they are available for personal use only on your personal computer, tablet, or smartphone as your wallpaper image. Any use of these images for any purpose other than this is a violation of these terms and anyone found using said images will be asked to either compensate the creator for doing so or be asked to stop using them immediately.

I ask that you refrain from using any images found on to create physically printed material of any kind. This includes posters, photographic prints, fliers, etc. Under no circumstances may you make a physical reproduction without written permission.

When sharing images via your personal blogs I kindly ask that you link back directly to either the post the image was taken from or the base of the website at and give a credit to Do not re-post full resolution desktop images anywhere without permission. If you would like to use an image for your blog background or something of the sort simply write to ask first. Support the artwork you admire! Also, it is greatly appreciated if you do NOT link directly to the zip files. This is more or less the same as re-posting them as it circumvents the tiny bit of support I ask of you which is to simply link back to the original post for others to enjoy the site.