Notes on darkness

Notes On Darkness

I had planned on posting this earlier but felt I may as well wait to find out what the new iPhone would bring resolution wise. Of course they would give me a new resolution to crop to so I have my work cut out for me once again. From this point on any desktops posted will be with the new longer iPhone 5 resolution. This of course presents the problem of having even less image to work with as I normally shoot desktop images horizontally and with such a thin sliver or an image to work with it will be even trickier to make pleasing or functional compositions with many of my older images. In the future I will consider shooting certain things in portrait simply to have iPhone specific images based on a composition more appropriate for the iPhone. I will also make a new wallpaper pack for the new phone and have it ready on or around the launch of the new device so keep an eye out.

Anyway, all the tech talk out of the way, let’s have a look at todays desktop shall we. This was taken while in Seoul the last time in my apartment overlooking a park. I had bought this egg at a cheap market in a subway earlier that evening and was messing around with it when I thought it would be fun to shoot a few photos. This is a bit odd I realize but I thought some of you would find it fun. The egg is a simple LED night light that fades between colors. I waited until it tuned white then, snap, grabbed this photo. While the light is not really all that bright, in the black of night it was still a number of stops brighter than the objects around it so because I chose to expose to capture some of the surrounding environment the egg ended up being a solid white shape in the middle of the frame. While I typically avoid this kind of blatant over exposure of part of an image I think it adds something to the feel overall. Like a hole cut out of the scene. At any rate, enjoy and let me know if you have any trouble with the fancy new tall iPhone crop.

Comments

1. Laurie - September 13, 2012 at 12:24 am

Congratulations on another brilliant addition to my desktops folder AND being featured on Lifehacker’s Wallpaper Wednesday today. I hope others get the same pleasure I do seeing your photos on their computer every morning. I point my screensaver to your folder too. Thank you so much for sharing them with us.

2. Denis - September 13, 2012 at 5:37 am

This looks like glowing «Tenga» egg.

3. DavidR - September 13, 2012 at 12:07 pm

I love dirty bokeh. Beautiful shot.

4. Alex - September 13, 2012 at 11:39 pm

Great shot as always.

For open advice to all those (currently everyone) who have 3.5″ iOS devices, the images are much easier to align from
    With in the photos application, then selecting share: set as wallpaper. – when choising it from with in settings/wallpaper the image is fit vertically rather than for the equal width.

Thanks for being so savvy.

5. Thiago Pedrosa - September 17, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Is that a Buddha Machine?

6. Lauren - September 18, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Love this! Such great atmosphere ~ it feels like a special memory. :)

7. john - September 19, 2012 at 12:17 am

Thiago, It sure is, I have a couple of them and I really love em.

8. Wallpaper: Notes On Darkness « Linxspire - September 23, 2012 at 9:46 pm

[...] Source Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:LikeBe the first to like this. This entry was posted in Photography, Wallpapers and Themes and tagged calming, color, contrast, egg, fiftyfootshadows, iphone, korea, LED, light, night, photo, Photography, picture, seoul, up, white. [...]