Blue Vacation

Blue Vacation

Remember the post Between Here and There? The out of focus landscape photo? Well, I am finally back with another edition of minimal landscape photography and this time what you are seeing is the Atlantic ocean. In the previous post I had an over ambitious statement to make about the space between the camera and the landscape behind that was actually the focus of the image, invisible to the viewer outside of his or her imagination. If I remember right someone even decided to leave a comment calling the statement pretentious which I had a good laugh about and moved on.

This time around I am seeing it a bit differently and wondering if it does have any potential to slowly develop into a series. I love minimal, abstract viewpoints on the world and the beautiful details hiding around us. Producing an intentionally out of focus image results in a strained connection between the viewer and the captured moment. We can clearly see it is an ocean there in front of us but we are only basing this off of our previous memory of what we know of an empty blue ocean to look like. This contradicts the idea that a photograph is capturing a moment in time to visibly remember it or share it and I find that loop in the logic of shooting fun to get lost in.

The name is from an old song by Casino Vs. Japan. Hopefully you will enjoy this soft landscape as much as many seemed to enjoy the last one and as I come across other opportunities I will see about continuing to expand this idea in the future.

Comments

1. Tom McLaughlan - January 14, 2013 at 3:59 pm

Love this shot. It’s one of those that absorb me. And the whole concept of merging minimal and abstract concepts, playing around at the boundary of the two. i call it Ministract and this is a beauty of a ministract. Great work, John,

2. hamid ranjbar - January 15, 2013 at 1:07 pm

Hello.I’m from IRAN.It’s so pretty and wonderful.really great work,hamid

3. Suhas - January 16, 2013 at 7:37 am

amazing colors! is this long exposure?

4. Suhas - January 16, 2013 at 7:41 am

oops.. i just realized you are one of the few people who keeps the exif.. 1/6000?!!! i should laugh at myself for asking that question… dint know that out of focus can blur the surface of water… nice…

5. Neil - January 16, 2013 at 6:46 pm

Love the colours and you must have a nice clean sensor too. This is my new desktop.

6. Mike - January 18, 2013 at 6:43 am

I really like this, John. My eyes want to linger.

7. Nathaniel - January 23, 2013 at 12:49 pm

This makes a lovely iPhone 5 wallpaper. It’s like a much prettier version of the iOS 6 default.