Yesterday Was Only

Volume One

I’m happy to announce the first of what will be a monthly series of books containing images from Yesterday Was Only. I still have a number of things in the pipeline for 50ft as far as my shop is concerned but I wanted to get this going before too much time passed. To make them I have chosen Blurb to publish with at first for a couple of reasons including prep time and publishing costs. I have plans to publish short run of books myself in the future but for the simplicity of this project I am simply using blurb. The only downside of this is that I don’t get the quality checks and control I would by self publishing which is hard to let go of but due to the nature of this idea, I don’t mind letting go a little.

I have opted to use the Trade style book from Blurb which prints on a modest uncoated paper and has a nice size to it but with a smaller base price than their full on photo books. (I replied to a commenter below a little about why I chose trade over other things they offer.) I am offering two versions, softcover, and hardcover.

Hardcover books will cost $30.02, (not including shipping). I have not added any profit to the cost, this is just how much it is to make a book this size and variety with Blurb. I am only allowing FIVE copies of the hardback version to be sold.

If you would like me to sign it I will order the book and ship it to you myself after signing it. Due to the nature of the Hardcover edition it is not listed publicly, if you are interested, send me a mail and we will work out the details, no problem at all.

You can find the order page here.

That’s it! I will continue to post here and on yesterdaywasonly.net when a new edition becomes available, most likely within the first week of each new month. Enjoy!

Comments

1. youngdoo - March 13, 2013 at 11:21 am

congrats! i’m so excited for you!

2. MCHL - March 14, 2013 at 12:45 am

Wish u can take a gallery of your retina MacBook Pro lol

3. john - March 14, 2013 at 12:47 am

Im not quite sure what you mean MCHL.

4. MCHL - March 14, 2013 at 2:03 am

I mean take some photos of that retina MacBook Pro lol

5. Emanuele - March 14, 2013 at 4:58 pm

Just bought my copy, can’t wait to see that!
    Thanks for such a wonderful work over these years!

E.

6. Justin Lowery - March 15, 2013 at 3:24 pm

Did you consider the Magazine or Brochure options from Blurb? I’m sitting here looking at one I designed and printed for a project, and it is MUCH cheaper than the softcover book option, and the quality is fantastic! Definitely look into those. If nothing else, it would increase your profit margin per book, and decrease your overhead.

7. John Carey - March 15, 2013 at 3:52 pm

I did look over every option available including the magazine and brochures and dug through their sample pack and all. I wasn’t a fan of the paper used in the magazine. If I had gone that route I would have used MagCloud most likely, and I nearly did but still just wasn’t all that crazy about their paper choice.

The Brochures maximum size was not quite enough for what I needed, almost, but not quite. If in the future I have a busy month I may need the option to have more than 48 pages available and to keep the design consistent over time I decided to simply go with the Trade and its lovely uncoated, muted paper.

I also made the choice to not allow blurb to brand the book. While I think they ask for way to high of a percentage to remove their logo, I was simply not comfortable letting them brand the books.

I have other printers I will be using for future projects I have in the pipeline, ones where I will buy the full stock in one oder and ship myself but for now this was the best option I could come up with.

I realize the price on the high side and its not going to be for everyone out there but thats ok. As for profits, I am really not all that concerned with profits with this project and in the future may go ahead and move to a zero profit model on these. The idea behind the project was a simple one and this monthly printed edition was more for prosperity than anything, so these modest daily images can live a life somewhere outside of the web.

It was not the easiest decision to make but more of a compromise to bring an idea into reality before too much time passed me by, the compromise being that I wanted a nice quality book/paper selection over the cheaper option. I am a stickler for aesthetic and so I did the best I could with what was available. The glossy cover of the trade softcover bugs me but had to at least let that slide. Some days I wonder if maybe I am too particular for my own good. My wife always tells me I need to focus more on completing projects rather than reaching a mythical perfection hehe.

Pardon my rambling, there may be others out there who are interested in why I decided to go this route as well.

8. Jordan P. - March 20, 2013 at 9:29 am

Hi John,

I’ve been visiting and enjoying your photography for since May 2011. I wanted to say that you’re doing amazing work. There is a personal touch to your photography that brings me back week after week. How I do enjoy the idea of having your photography in a book, I really would like 2 or 3 prints.

Do you show your work at any NC gallery or online store front?

I really appreciate your time and effort in doing great work. Have a wonderful day.

-Jordan P.

9. Mike - March 21, 2013 at 1:22 pm

Good luck!

10. www.empeño-de-coches.es - July 18, 2014 at 5:48 am

I know this if off topic but I’m looking into starting my own weblog and was wondering what all is required to get setup? I’m assuming having a blog like yours would cost a pretty penny?

I’m not very web smart so I’m not 100% certain. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

11. brabbles - July 20, 2014 at 9:21 am

This person does not have to be a photographer, but someone who can be
    there and carry any equipment would like to bring with you.
    Only exceptional photographs help you show your effort and dedication for the globe.
    As I got older I really wanted a nicer camera so I bought one and couldn’t wait to get
    the pictures developed asap.

12. transport mobila - August 16, 2014 at 3:29 am

Attractive element of content. I simply stumbled upon your web siite and in accession capital to assert that I acquire in fact loved account youir weblog posts.
    Anyway I’ll bbe subscribing to your augment or eve I fulfillment you get entry to
    consistently rapidly.

13. www.speedlove.eu - August 17, 2014 at 1:13 pm

Making your own photography equipment might seem like a somewhat silly idea.
    With the extremely wide apertures, they collect a
    lot of light and work well in dimly lit areas (like a church).

Essentially, photographs under such category must highlight
    the company product or service, and not merely the individuals working behind the veil.