Blaze one

Blaze

I had a wonderful couple of days up in the mountains of NC with YoungDoo. A small town called Hot Springs which is a through point for the epic Appalachian Trail. There was a steady stream of oncoming backpackers through town and I could not help but get a little envious as I always wondered if I would be able to hike that massive trail one day. It’s been quite some time since I have felt the calming rush of being in the woods for a week or two at a time. Life on my back, humbled by the nature we only dominate because of our theoretical intelligence. I have been hoping to get a good backpacking trip going for a long while now and hopefully soon. For now I am happy to take what I can get in shorter hikes.

These images are of the blazes (trail markings) found along the Appalachian Trail. We hiked about 2/2000th of it in the rain while we were traveling out there. It seems to have left me catching a fever I am now paying for back at home but it was a good hike all the same. I will share a few more images from the trip soon as I make time. In the mean time feel free to browse through Yesterday Was Only for a handful of photos posted from each day.

Blaze two

Comments

1. Jasper - March 21, 2013 at 7:13 am

Definitely up there with my favorites! These are incredible!

2. Tim Sondrup - March 21, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Love this!

3. Benjamin - March 26, 2013 at 3:54 pm

I love your photos. They have what I can only describe as a ‘waxy’ feel to them and try as I might, I just can’t replicate it.

Would you mind sharing the RAW adjustments you used to achieve the feel for the first photo?

4. John Carey - March 26, 2013 at 4:19 pm

Benjamin, thats a trade secret! But Ill share anyway because there is no secret here. Every photo is different and I treat them as such so I never grab for any preset, self made or otherwise. 95 percent of what I adjust can be found in the Curves unless I have a chromatic abrasion issue to deal with. Here is a screen shot of the only adjustments made to the top image above. An article on using curves has been one on my to do list for quite some time.

5. Benjamin - March 27, 2013 at 3:16 am

So you really don’t do very much when it comes to adjustments. I thought maybe you were turning down the clarity or something like that. I’m new to the world of photography so I’m still trying to find a style that makes my photos look ‘professional’.

Keep up the great work and thanks for sharing :D

6. Benjamin - March 27, 2013 at 5:11 am

I think I just found the right “Exposure” ;) :P

7. paula - April 13, 2013 at 4:59 pm

If you mean a literal fever…maybe check into whether you were bitten by a tick…lyme, rocky mountain spotted fever…could be a serious illness…sorry :(