Washed Out

Paracosm

I remember the first time hearing Washed Out a few years back, it was just before a road trip to NYC to see a few friends and check out a few of the events being thrown by Warp Records for their, I believe, 20th anniversary. Someone had shared his first EP, Life of leisure, with me and I was immediately hooked on its dreamy sun drenched grooves with a distinct lo-fi pop sentimentality. The EP is the reason the term ‘chill wave’ exists after a journalist coined the phrase to describe it’s sound. The newly discovered sub genera quickly grew to be mimicked and expanded up on over the years since its release.

His follow up to that EP was his first full length and while it lacked some of the original lo-fi charm I warmed up to it quickly and it ended up being another one of my favorites. Enter his newest release, Paracosm. Upon first listen I knew it would end up getting a lot of playtime as the rest of the summer heats up and moves out. He has moved away from his humble bedroom production roots at this point for sure, but the music still holds true to his trademark dream pop appeal. Layers upon layers of warm synths and meandering vocal melodies drive the music forward among his usual head nodding rhythms. It’s great to hear that he has yet to run out of steam and I easily recommend you check it out for yourself. This vinyl edition is in a gorgeous deep purple which I have included a second image of beyond the read more link. It’s the perfect album for the end of the summer. Take a day off, hop in your car, windows down, put Paracosm on the stereo, and get lost.

Washed Out

Comments

1. Simon Crawshaw - August 13, 2013 at 4:34 am

Great site, superb images. Just wanted to report that the zip link for the ‘now spinning’ post seems to be broken.

Thanks

2. oreero - August 13, 2013 at 9:04 am

Are the links to zip file and iphone wallpaper down or there are issues with my Internet provider?

3. ramyeon - August 13, 2013 at 9:29 am

I was able to download the zip by changing the URL from

to

Seems like it’s just a mix up.

4. john - August 13, 2013 at 11:56 am

Yep, I dragged the wrong file into my iPad/iphone image folder AND did not edit my zip link correctly. Was staring into the screen blurry eyed late last night as I posted these up at the end of the day. Sorry about the mix up!

5. Hardi - August 18, 2013 at 7:38 am

Your pictures are awesome. Anyway, how can you make your pictures look so 50s like this?

6. Mohammed BEKKALI - August 18, 2013 at 9:22 am

Very nice shot ;) ‘Looks like a spinning lo(lli)-pop ^^

7. Nick Christoff - August 21, 2013 at 10:00 am

I recently abandoned digital music and have been buying vinyl instead. It’s great to not only see a post on your site about music, but a great photograph as well. Keep it up. Always love stopping by here.