The history of my love for electronic music started with Aphex Twin, and a couple of local record shops that would carry the latest albums from Warp, NinjaTune, Merck, and others. A friend of mine and I would dig and dig to find the weirdest, most interesting electronic music that did not have the four on the floor house beat that we pushed so hard against at the time. In the early days we also came across Boards Of Canada’s album Music Has The Right To Children, an album many BOC fans consider to be their favorite.

It was the followup that grabbed me personally though. Unlike the repetitive groove of Music Has The Right Geogaddi was lush, a bit darker, and a lot more interesting to me. Something in the faked nostalgia of the melodies and samples paired with the gritty yet somehow soothing textures in the sound design had me hooked and I have always considered it to be one of my all time favorites. I was not into vinyl when it was originally released so I missed out on the first run of it being pressed years ago. I was overjoyed to discover Warp was re-issuing the classic early BOC records for the first time in forever so I could finally have the early classics in my collection without paying horribly high prices wanted by collectors for over played old copies.

These re-issues are a definite must in anyones collection should you be into electronic music of any kind. Even if your not usually a fan of the genre you should at least give their old records (and new one for that matter) a spin. Timeless and worth checking into if you are not already familiar. Oh, and check out the etching on side F, I love records with etchings.

geogaddi etch

1. Frostroomhead - October 22, 2013 at 9:11 am

Boards of Canada is great!

2. Joel Potter - October 23, 2013 at 1:15 pm

Love this post! Discovering BOC was the birth of a major limb on my musical tree. Curious to know what you think of their newest, “Tomorrow’s Harvest”?

I really enjoy your site here as well! Been following since last fall.

3. Martin Neumann - October 24, 2013 at 2:03 pm

Would you make the first photo with the Geogaddi sleeve available as a desktop wallpaper? It looks just right!

Thanks again for sharing all these beautiful wallpapers over the years.

4. Cameron - October 26, 2013 at 6:26 pm

Your taste in electronica is dope. I’ve always loved your images, but when you go from talking about Machinedrum to Boards of Canada it has me spinning. Awesome all around.

On the topic of Boards of Canada, did you get a lot out of Tomorrow’s Harvest’s cover art? I wish I could find more images of similar types of things. Intoxicating on all levels.

5. Spencer - October 27, 2013 at 8:25 pm

I have followed your blog for a while and really enjoy your posts. I have never posted a comment here but wanted to say thanks for this one. My Boards of Canada iTunes Radio station is now my favorite to listen to while cranking out code. I have also been on the search for a vintage turn table and receiver to go along with a pair of vintage KLH speakers I recently salvaged and fully restored.

6. Greymatter - October 29, 2013 at 2:19 am

Geogaddi has definitely gotten more playtime in my life. It’s funny I just read this post since I just fell in love with an album I stumbled on yesterday, “Bola – Soup”. It’s a bit BoC and a bit Plaid. It really grabbed me the second pass through. Going to have to go through all of his albums now.

7. john - October 30, 2013 at 4:35 pm

So happy to see all this love for BOC! One of my favorites for sure. While the full size images work well as wallpapers, mobile versions were tricky to crop so I chose not to make them available, if you are really in the need for a wallpaper of one just shoot me a quick email.

Greymatter, Bola! Yes! another classic from that era. Enjoy!

8. erem - January 13, 2014 at 2:41 pm

Wallpaper version please? btw I love BOC! There is a very interesting fan made youtube video for the “Cold Earth”from Tomorrow’s Harvest, take a look if you have some tome ;)

• Share with friends.

By downloading any content from you agree to the following terms:

All of the images contained within this website,, are property of, John Carey unless otherwise posted. The images are distributed as freeware but they are available for personal use only on your personal computer, tablet, or smartphone as your wallpaper image. Any use of these images for any purpose other than this is a violation of these terms and anyone found using said images will be asked to either compensate the creator for doing so or be asked to stop using them immediately.

I ask that you refrain from using any images found on to create physically printed material of any kind. This includes posters, photographic prints, fliers, etc. Under no circumstances may you make a physical reproduction without written permission.

When sharing images via your personal blogs I kindly ask that you link back directly to either the post the image was taken from or the base of the website at and give a credit to Do not re-post full resolution desktop images anywhere without permission. If you would like to use an image for your blog background or something of the sort simply write to ask first. Support the artwork you admire! Also, it is greatly appreciated if you do NOT link directly to the zip files. This is more or less the same as re-posting them as it circumvents the tiny bit of support I ask of you which is to simply link back to the original post for others to enjoy the site.