object 06

Object No. 6

This past friday I attempted my weekly object photo but somehow managed to pick the most difficult thing to shoot that I had around. A tiny plastic Buddha. Problem was that it is red, very red. The low contrast and the purity of the color wreaked havoc in the red channel of every photo I tried to take of it. So here we are, a couple days late with plan B.

Those of you following along for a while know that I have a thing for the Canon Canonet G-III QL17. It’s an old rangefinder with a beautiful fixed lens and anytime I am asked what my favorite camera is it’s a tossup between my Hasselblad 501CM and my Canonet. Only problem is that they are all getting a little old at this point seeing as they were manufactured in the 70s but there is no shortage of functioning copies out there for anyone curious. Many cleaned up and refurbished even.

The one photographed here is one of three that I own and has obviously seen better days. A few years back I started to take it apart to try and fix an issue I was having with the shutter but ended up giving up and stripping away most of its outer shell revealing the beautiful exposed machinery hiding inside. Seeing as most cameras on the market today are full of circuit boards and digital sensors I enjoy having this piece of well engineered history on the camera shelf.

When I hear photographers today say they know nothing of film or have no interest, it always makes me at least a little sad to hear but I know there is still a large group of us shooting away frame by precious frame whenever we can. Film has a soul that you can’t ignore once you have shot a few rolls, it’s an aesthetic and a way of life for many photographers. Even today as digital cameras have a life and personality all their own film holds a special place in the world of photography not only because it is the root of the craft but because there is still nothing else like it.

object 06 alt. 1&2

1. James - February 10, 2014 at 11:46 am

I used a Canonet GIII for years until I got my M6+Nokton 1.4. But Ill be honest I really miss my Canonet, when those things are working perfectly they are really hard to beat. I also have 3 but all have different problems with them. I should get them CLA’d.

Great photos BTW.
    – james

2. Ryan - February 10, 2014 at 12:47 pm

Great shots. It’s funny, when I was a kid I always wanted a “real” camera but it was my brother who ended up with the Nikon FM10, so my access to film came only through disposables and clandestine thefts of the aforementioned Nikon for a day or so. It wasn’t until I received my D5000 as a Christmas gift that I started to pursue it more vigorously.

Despite being essentially a digital-only guy, there is something infinitely more interesting and beautiful about analog construction and processes.

3. Paul Anthony Webb - February 10, 2014 at 2:38 pm

I like the new typography on the site! Very clean.

4. john - February 10, 2014 at 4:42 pm

Glad you like the new approach, I am still tweaking things slowly but wanted to freshen things up a bit.

5. PhilippmitderUhr - February 11, 2014 at 6:08 pm

Well written and photographed :)

6. Cid - March 16, 2014 at 6:43 pm

I follow this site for years now and it’s always a pleasure to come here.
    I love the composition and the colors of this shot. Is the filter used a Fuji one?
    By the way, do you know if Youngdoo uses a filter too? The way colors are rendered on her photos is lovely to me.

Thanx for everything, and sorry for the english.
    A french follower.

7. John Carey - March 17, 2014 at 11:08 am

Hey Cid, happy you enjoy the site! If you mean a filter on the camera lens then no, we don’t currently use any physical filters. If you mean software filters in post work, I don’t have any filters. I do have a few editing profiles saved in Aperture which is what I use to edit photos but I treat every photo differently when working on them.
    YoungDoo uses a filter pack on occasion but rarely. She just has a good eye for getting the right balance of color and exposure. I envy her ability!

Feel free to write and say hello any time.

8. Cid - March 24, 2014 at 3:14 pm

Thank you for your answer; I meant a software filter because yout both images has their own identity, especially about colors.
    But now I know that I have to become better with post-production ;)

Anyway, I will continue to come here with pleasure.

Good luck for the continuation.

9. elementaryOS Freya | Syncopated Pandemonium - July 27, 2014 at 9:09 am

[…] from my Freya build. Cudos to the elementary team for creating an awesome distribution! Wallpaper: FiftyFootShadows Icons: Amana Icons By […]