Blue Ridge Fog 5

Blue Ridge Fog

Rainy days don’t always have to ruin plans. This past weekend my brother and I wanted to head out to the mountains and shoot around so rather than let the rain get the best of us we pushed right into the thick of it and drove blindly on into the fog. A steady rain left us a bit damp by the days end but quiet landscapes and some fresh air made it all worth while.

At this point I have seen and taken enough fog photos for a lifetime, even with the most beautiful subject matter hiding in the middle I find using fog to capture a mood gets old after a while. Hard to deny its appeal though. It’s an instant fantasy land and the never ending curiosity and uncertainty of not knowing what is beyond your line of sight can be addicting.

We made a few random stops as we drove down a section of the Blue Ridge Parkway and managed to get a few nice photos in along the way despite them eventually closing off part of the parkway due to what I could only assume was fog to thick to safely navigate through, visibility at times was so low that car headlights of oncoming traffic crept almost out of nowhere at times and made for an unpredictable drive along the slow, winding roads of the parkway.

I went ahead and made six different images from the day into wallpapers to make a nice rounded pack of desktops for you guys. While some aren’t particularly perfect I think they came out nicely considering the nasty weather we had to work with. Enjoy!

Blue Ridge Fog 1

Blue Ridge Fog 2

Blue Ridge Fog 3

Blue Ridge Fog 4

Blue Ridge Fog 6

1. DavidR - March 21, 2014 at 6:45 pm

Lovely shots, as is typical for 50ft. ;) The vignetting is a bit strong on a few of them for my taste (though I presume it is as a result of an open aperture and not post-processed in as it certainly looks authentic) but still very nice!

2. John Carey - March 21, 2014 at 8:31 pm

It’s true, vignetting is on the heavy side which I considered correcting more of but left it in because I figured it matched the foggy mood. Glad you enjoyed them. I sure do miss the sun though, can’t wait for spring to sink in.

3. Dobby - March 22, 2014 at 1:14 am

Dear Sir, I am having a problem downloading these amazing photos and I don’t know why.

4. John Carey - March 22, 2014 at 1:16 am

Trouble with the zip file or the individual iOS versions? Could you give me a little more detail, would be happy to help.

5. Dobby - March 22, 2014 at 1:31 am

Zip file, thanks very much!

6. John Carey - March 22, 2014 at 1:40 am

I see, well, I have checked the download a couple of times in different places and have not had any trouble with it. Keep in mind it is bigger than most that I offer here at 34mb so be sure the whole thing downloads. Usually a second try or even clearing your browser cache clears up any issues with the zip files here. Let me know if you continue to have issues, I will get in touch through email and see if I can’t help you out further.

7. Dobby - March 22, 2014 at 2:37 am

I’m really sorry to bother you further, but whenever I try to download it always reaches until 3-4mb and stops and I don’t know why. This is actually the first time I had problems with downloading your amazing wallpapers.

8. pk - March 24, 2014 at 1:25 pm

Great shots, some of my favorite desktops that you’ve had up, but I’m a sucker for rainy day picts.

9. Paul Anthony Webb - March 24, 2014 at 1:56 pm

The first one is my favorite.

• Share with friends.

By downloading any content from you agree to the following terms:

All of the images contained within this website,, are property of, John Carey unless otherwise posted. The images are distributed as freeware but they are available for personal use only on your personal computer, tablet, or smartphone as your wallpaper image. Any use of these images for any purpose other than this is a violation of these terms and anyone found using said images will be asked to either compensate the creator for doing so or be asked to stop using them immediately.

I ask that you refrain from using any images found on to create physically printed material of any kind. This includes posters, photographic prints, fliers, etc. Under no circumstances may you make a physical reproduction without written permission.

When sharing images via your personal blogs I kindly ask that you link back directly to either the post the image was taken from or the base of the website at and give a credit to Do not re-post full resolution desktop images anywhere without permission. If you would like to use an image for your blog background or something of the sort simply write to ask first. Support the artwork you admire! Also, it is greatly appreciated if you do NOT link directly to the zip files. This is more or less the same as re-posting them as it circumvents the tiny bit of support I ask of you which is to simply link back to the original post for others to enjoy the site.