Generally Happy

While sitting down with a pastry and hot cup of coffee this afternoon, I took a few minutes to listen to some new music and watch others go about their buisness. Everyone around me seems to be generally happy in their little phone worlds. Half smiles, heads cocked sideways, a table of prayer before eating their salads. Reflecting on life and people watching feels like a luxury and spending time like this to myself often makes me feel guilty because I immediately wonder, what else should I be doing right now that is surely more productive than this?

So I opened up my laptop and decided to pivot into sharing something new here with those of you still checking in on 50ft from time to time. I appreciate you, thanks for stopping by! Unless I’m just not paying enough attention, custom desktops and photography feels a little small in the grand scheme of things online these days. I figure that’s even more of a reason to keep doing what I do around here, carry on and share like I have been for so long. A day or two ago I dug out a few new images and readied them for sharing and I am happy to be here today doing just that.

Pulling from photos taken while in Iceland late last year I am struck by how dim and grey most of my images are from the trip. A thin layer of clouds were always drifting about overhead and the sun often only snuck out on rare occasions when it dipped low enough in the horizon to escape. So here in this moment the clouds won but the landscape there is beautiful no matter the circumstance so I tried to make the best of what I had to work with when given the opportunity to pull the camera out. I still enjoy shooting landscapes like these with a small aperture and a focus on where I stood rather than the grand whatever beyond in an effort to leave that grander for daydreams and whimsy rather than being so on the nose all the time.

At any rate, thats all for today, download links below, I hope to see you again soon!

Comments

1. Rob - February 12, 2019 at 5:42 am

I always look forward to your desktop posts. I’ve been following your site for nearly 10 years because when I first got into photography the quiet, contemplative feeling you convey in your perspective is exactly what inspired me.

My photography has changed a lot since 10 years ago, but I always enjoy your work because it gives me a sense of nostalgia for the root of what I care most about in photographs.

Thank you for continuing to post. I really appreciate it.

2. John Carey - February 12, 2019 at 9:03 am

Thanks so much for taking the time to write, it’s always great to hear this little project of mine has had an impact on the world and comments like these keep me going!

3. Justin Mabee - February 12, 2019 at 7:56 pm

As always, love all of your shots. Was so happy to have you on the journey! Iceland forever.

4. Daniele Borghi - February 13, 2019 at 8:33 am

I have been following your blog for at least two or three years and now your photos are the official backgrounds of my Macs. Your photography has been a source of inspiration for my photos. Thank you for giving us this vision of this crazy world. A hug from Italy!

5. Joel Cipriano - February 13, 2019 at 9:36 am

Thank you, John!

6. John Carey - February 13, 2019 at 4:33 pm

Once again, you guys are the best. Thanks for the encouragement!

7. Hund - February 15, 2019 at 9:49 am

I’ve been following your blog for more years than I can remember. I keep myself updated using a feed reader that let’s me know whenever there’s something new here. :)

I enjoy your blog just as much as the day I found it. Keep it up!

8. Andrew - February 16, 2019 at 3:25 pm

Thank you for providing contemplation in a world of ever increasing speed.