Traveling Again / India Bound

Well, it seems I will find myself climbing onto a plane again and this time it will set its wings toward India. I will be spending just over 20 days or so traveling by train, foot, rickshaw, and maybe a camel, who knows. The trip sort of arrived unexpectedly as an idea and a possibility and I am more than excited to take advantage of the opportunity. Half of the time I will be traveling with someone and the other half I will be trekking along alone to who knows where. I have a rough idea of where I will be visiting but the details are still being filled in.

Along the way I will of course be photographing the journey and have made the decision to shoot nothing but film while I travel there. Well outside of random iphone photos. It was a tough call really, deciding weather or not to bring the 5D along as well and then deciding what kind of film to focus on and shoot with but I think I have narrowed it down to just bringing my Bessa R3M and my new Hasselblad both loaded up with Kodak Portra 400VC so things should hold a consistency that I think will be nice to have. Anyways, just mentioning for those of you who are interested in such things.

So that said, I am by no means rich and traveling does take its toll on my wallet. The ticket took a pretty big chunk of my funds and while I should be able to get by ok on my small budget I was thinking I may want to look into the possibility of raising some extra money for the trip so I don’t ended up stranded in a desert somewhere, heh. My first thought and something I did do was sell a couple of things, a camera lens and an old film camera and I have been digging around for as much local work as I can find but I think its time I try something I have been meaning to get around to for a long time now. Selling a few prints.

Selling prints is something that I have struggled with often simply because I have wanted to be sure to do it right, quality printing is at the top of the list really and I have a lab in mind that I think will handle it well. Another thing I have tried to decide upon is editions which I am almost certain that I have been over thinking.

At any rate, at some point this week I will be posting a few images I will be selling on a limited basis. Most likely only one, maybe two copies of them will be made in this first edition and will be sold at a price reflecting their limited nature. I will most likely also make available some other options if you would like to help me out with this trip even in just a tiny way and I am looking at this print route as a way of trying to give back something for you support of my journey.

So keep an eye out for that, hopefully it will be an interesting experiment if nothing else, I do my best not to ask for anything in return for all these desktops outside of asking permission before using them for things other than desktops and hopefully you guys understand what I’m getting at here.

That said, I love my readers, you all give me the support and motivation to continue to do something that I really love and I am in debt to you all for giving me that. Sorry for rambling a bit here, those of you who made it this far, thanks for reading, all the best, and I will talk to you again soon with more details.

Comments

1. Carsten - October 18, 2009 at 5:36 am

Have lots of fun (and opportunities to take shots) on your trip!

2. Neil - October 18, 2009 at 8:27 pm

It will be interesting to see what prints and stuff you have available to buy, I might purchase something myself if I can afford it. Re- the india trip it’s a shame you aren’t taking the 5d but I think you should be well served by the bessa and hassy, from what limited use I’ve had of portra 400 vc it’s blown me away, the colours are just wonderful so I intend to use it more from now on as well as reala 100 which I also really like. Anyway have a good trip sir.

3. Lauren - October 19, 2009 at 2:47 pm

Wow – how great! I actually have another friend who’s going to be traveling in India next month. What a wonderful adventure – I hope you find it enlightening and refreshing!

4. john - October 19, 2009 at 3:21 pm

Thanks guys!I will be going from November 9th until December 2nd, Lauren, thats cool you know someone else that would be there then as well, what area, do you know?

Neil, yeah its been a tough decision to stick with only film but I think it will be for the best because I tend to focus more and get more into the moment rather than just shooting away randomly. And PortraVC is my favorite color film after trying to many others I always come back to it.

So yep, stay tuned for more details as the date gets closer…

5. Neil - October 19, 2009 at 8:20 pm

I know what you mean, while not at the same level as you I have recently got a new DSLR lens, while it’s nice to use and everything I’ve been hankering after using my voigtlander again having only had the lens for a few days. Where this will end I don’t know I dread to think actually, so does my credit card ;)

6. kamadiva* - October 20, 2009 at 10:24 am

then..enjoy and take care!*

7. Alex - October 21, 2009 at 4:36 pm

Freakin’ awesome! Enjoy yourself, wish I could go with ya! :)

8. Ben E. - October 22, 2009 at 5:44 pm

Good luck! Remember to take the time to see the world without a camera lens in the way!

9. sunhead - October 30, 2009 at 6:02 pm

ben makes a very good point. :)

10. Aaron - November 8, 2009 at 11:51 pm

I have followed this site and your previous one for many years now. Amazing work. You have inspired me to pick up a camera again. I only wish my work will someday be as amazing as yours.

Have a safe trip and look forward to seeing the images you catpure.

A.

11. john - November 9, 2009 at 12:48 am

Thanks so much again everyone, I wont hide too much behind the camera heh, should be a great trip I hope, see you on the other side!

12. Steve - December 4, 2009 at 12:46 pm

Hi John, I’m from south India would be glad to welcome you here, I know places that we could shoot & capture Amazing shots. Regards Steve!!

13. Rustham - December 4, 2009 at 12:48 pm

Amazing shots, safe trip & good luck with your venture.