And Then…

jaisalmer_broken_tuk.JvMwW5SOWqax.jpg

Well I have returned from India safely although its taken me a few days to get back on my feet because of course as soon as I return I come down with a flu/cold kind of a thing that keeps me in bed asleep for the most part the whole time I have been back in the states. But I am finally on the tail end of the illness and ready to push forward and catch up with everything. I have a dozen or so things to catch up with so it may take a few more days to get things up to speed around here but I wanted to check in, say hello and mention that I made it back alive and well(ish).

Being back here in the US is more of a culture shock for me than going to India to begin with, there were countless little things that I really admired about the way life was lived there and coming back here some things seem a bit backwards to me and coming back sick has sort of messed with the momentum I usually have after traveling but I will hopefully get back on track here this week as I feel better. I know everyone that follows me here and around the interweb are all waiting to see some photos from the trip and I went ahead and pulled out the scanner and scanned a few polaroids to share here.

Honestly I did not end up shooting that much while I was there, I discovered my favorite way to spend time was to pick some random spot on the ground or on some stoop of a closed shop and sit and watch the world go by. While I may have expected to come back from a trip like that feeling humbled and full of future ambition I find that it had a slightly different effect on me, its left me feeling a bit askew emotionally as coming back into a country so firmly rooted in the idea of individuality and personal space and selfish tendencies feels strange after being witness to countless acts of selfless joy and a feeling of community that only living in a country with that many people could bring. Its hard to explain really. But needless to say I did enjoy shooting over there and using the hasselblad pulled plenty of curious onlookers as I pulled it out and went through the process of shooting with it. Many people mistook it as a polaroid camera and expected it to always churn out an instant photo which most people there seemed to expect after every other tourist passing through was shooting with whatever random DSLR they had. I found I had to guard the fact that I was shooting with polaroid when I did use the polaroid back as people would often expect to keep them as a gift or something of the sort.

So anyway, it was an absolutely brilliant experience from start to finnish and I will be happy to share more thoughts on it all as I start to get more into the swing of using a computer and keeping up with everything online again. My mind feels like its coming out of a coma or a foggy dream of some kind and thoughts are still a bit fuzzy but starting to clear up as this flusih cold passes through me and I get used to being back home so bear with me as I settle in. I have to track down the money it will take to develop the 120 rolls I shot to it may be a little while before you see much outside of a few 35mm shots or iphone photos so stay tuned everyone and I will talk to you again soon. In the mean time, enjoy these few polaroid scans from random points in the trip.

udaipur_queen.RRipYVgCFu0s.jpgpushkar_cow.Xm2zS7aMl4Di.jpg

jaipur_monkeys.p96c4OY4yHJN.jpg

jaipur_monkeys_temple.Izi5a5XIYUCE.jpg

delhi_double_train.rQv9FOzVnEhF.jpg

Comments

1. Lee - December 8, 2009 at 12:24 pm

Glad to hear you’re back safe. Hope you feel better soon, looking forward to hearing more about the trip.

2. Neil - December 8, 2009 at 7:18 pm

Good to have you back, the pictures look fantastic already, very natural but also accomplished too.

3. thedoo - December 8, 2009 at 10:37 pm

i love these pictures.

4. Fabian - December 9, 2009 at 2:39 am

Honestly GREAT words and thoughts + photos, thanks for sharing…

5. Jin - December 9, 2009 at 3:28 pm

Hey, glad to hear you had a good time. It’s really true about the obsession with private spaces here, isn’t it? Walking on the street I realized that our entire world is built around the car and cocooning yourself into your own tiny space instead of interacting with others. If all the space devoted to roads was converted into communal space, it’d be so much more pleasant to take a walk! And we’d all probably be less fat… :)

6. john g - December 10, 2009 at 11:39 am

welcome back John! wonderful photos and great words. looking forward to hearing and seeing more about your trip.

7. kamadiva - December 15, 2009 at 10:23 am