Resolution

Ok everyone, its been a few years since I have upped the resolution of my desktop images and I think that it may be time to jump in and commit to posting higer resolution desktops in the future. I realize that screens can get pretty big these days and my only reservation in the past was giving out images that are getting to the point where you could make fair size prints of them but I have held out long enough I think and it may be time to change the crop size setting in photoshop to something bigger.

So, that said, what should the new resolution be? maybe the resolution of the current 27“ imac? I would offer multiple resolutions but I simply don’t have the time to make multiple versions and lager images scale down to smaller screens anyway so thats not really an issue. If you have an opinion, now is the time to jump in and say it.

Also, if there are specific desktops you would like to see at a higher resolution go ahead and leave a note in the comments below and with time I will go back through and update some of the more popular older desktops where I am able to do so. I don’t have all of my old imagery in here in Seoul but when I get back I can have some reference here to know what readers would like to see.

I’ve been mulling over iPad/iPhone versions of some images as well which could easily be included in the zip along with the others and would not take much time to add in the future. So at any rate, let me know your thoughts! Thanks!

Comments

1. n - March 31, 2010 at 6:32 am

I’ve seen a lot of places doing 2560×1600. Some are doing 2650×1920 but not many.

2. Daniel - March 31, 2010 at 7:14 am

The images scale to smaller resolutions, but might get distorted by different aspect ratios.

2560×1600 is the average 30″ display size (16:10 aspect ratio), and good for 1680×1050, 1440×900, 1280×800 etc.

2560×1440 is the new iMac display (16:9). Takes care of 1920×1080 and 1280×720 (the “HD” resolutions) too.

1600×1200 is the largest 4:3 ratio resolution I know of with good distribution, or maybe 2048×1536. They scale down to 1024×768 etc.

So those three would make sense. If you only want to provide a single resolution, make it 2560×1600.

3. anders p - March 31, 2010 at 8:21 am

I’ve used several of your images as my background. I always crop an iPhone version so including this in the future would be great!

I use an Macbook so 16:10 is my aspect ratio.

4. Paul Colnaghi - March 31, 2010 at 8:59 am

I’d like to second a request to include native iPhone resolution versions in the .zip – I pretty much only use your desktops on my 13″ MacBook now, and would love an equivalent to show off on my phone!

@pcolnaghi

5. Nic Lake - March 31, 2010 at 10:04 am

2560×1440 would be my preference, but I’m running on a 27″ iMac, so…

x1600 would probably still be the “standard” right now, though.

6. m - March 31, 2010 at 11:06 am

i use a 27″ imac

7. Carson - March 31, 2010 at 2:56 pm

2560×1600 would cover just about every base. Thanks!

8. Neil - March 31, 2010 at 4:37 pm

I use a 21″ Mac so as above 2560×1600 would be great for me and other Mac users of the 27″ variety.

9. Richard - March 31, 2010 at 5:06 pm

I vote for 2560×1600: it’s simple enough to script Acorn or something else to produce other resolutions as necessary.

As for iPhone… well, you probably want to do 960×640, if the rumors are to believed. :-)

10. Calvin - March 31, 2010 at 10:08 pm

Yes to iPhone and iPad versions!

11. Oscar - April 1, 2010 at 3:19 am

My 27” iMac definitely asks for a proper desktop similar to that of his brothers (MacBook Pro 15 and MacBook Air). Since i´m using a lot your photos (Thanks again) as desktop, I guess it´s OK for it to ask…

iPad resolution would be also highly appreciated.

12. mums - April 1, 2010 at 5:26 am

images in 16:10 ratio would be great

13. Jesse - April 2, 2010 at 12:16 pm

Currently I’m using a 1920×1200 screen, but I can see myself upgrading to a 27″ iMac (or just a monitor of equivalent resolution) eventually. I’m sure this is the case with most people out there.

14. john - April 3, 2010 at 12:07 pm

Thanks so much for the feedback everyone! I will be increasing the resolution to 2560×1600 from here on out as well as including iphone and ipad versions of the wallpapers in the zips :)