ipad

My Custom iPad Sleeve

I have wanted to share my great iPad sleeve for quite a while now it seems and finally took a couple of minutes to snap a couple of photos. When using my iPad I like the natural feel of holding it without a case strapped onto its back so a sleeve was something I knew I wanted to carry it around with me. At first I had a friend sew one together of my own design but the problem there was that I didn’t have access to any decent fabric. A few months later YoungDoo mentioned she was planning on making a few iPad sleeves with her sister using materials found locally in Seoul. Turns out Seoul must have some great fabric suppliers because the sleeves they put together were amazing. The beautiful and durable fabrics they found to use were wonderful and the dimensions of the sleeve were perfect, snug but not tight and I am thrilled to be able to have one around which is one of a kind. The inner fabric is like a cloud, fluffy white fabric that is gentle and smooth giving me confidence it will not scratch the screen. I specifically asked for a design that allowed me to have it loaded inside my shoulder bag and be able to pull it out without needing to remove the whole sleeve all the time and as you can see its exactly what I have here.

It is a perfect way to carry around an iPad casually and while I can not offer anywhere for you to get your own (see update info below) I can suggest a nice sleeve as a great option for your iPad and I know there are a few great sleeve makers out there. I was tossing around the idea of making a few of these for sale here on 50ft in the future would anyone be interested in such a thing?

In other news, I will be selling this ipad soon. Probably here on 50ft, look for a post in the next few days ;)

ipad

Update: There was a good amount more interest than I thought there would be for something like this which is wonderful. It will be a while before I can sell any of these here on the site, at least not until I get my store page set up and going, and even then they would be pretty limited in their availability because I have no plans of starting up a sleeve company ;)

In the mean time to those of you who may be interested in a great cushy iPad sleeve like the one above I would highly suggest you check out Foof sleeves. An Australian company that I love. I own two of their sleeves for an iphone and my macbook that I have used for years now and have pointed friends to buy their sleeves time after time. I had recommended them in the past here on 50ft way back in ’08! Heres a photo of it in use on Flickr.  The idea to make some sleeves of our own stemmed from their beautiful simplicity and if you are in the market for one right now for your shiny new iPad check them out!  Additionally another great sleeve I had my eye on for my iPad for a while was this one here.

Comments

1. Yaro - March 5, 2011 at 6:56 pm

Can I has? :P

2. Michel - March 5, 2011 at 7:23 pm

Excellent!.

3. Jorge Quinteros - March 5, 2011 at 7:53 pm

I’m generally not very fond of sleeves but based on the photographs, I really love the warm and gentle feel on this one. You might want to consider selling a few on Etsy.

4. Mark - March 5, 2011 at 8:01 pm

I’d buy a sleeve. Let us know if you sell a few!

5. Kent - March 6, 2011 at 5:05 am

Looks similar to Foof Sleeves. I haven’t used one for the iPad, but have one for the iPod Classic and MacBook Pro and can’t fault them. Also, Aussie made, so yay us!

6. john - March 6, 2011 at 5:14 am

Funny you would mention foof, It was the inspiration for them, i LOVE those sleeves and their fabric choices. I have bought two or three from them for my laptop and phones in the past and have had friends buy them as well :) Great stuff indeed. I have no idea why I didn’t write that in there.

7. Jmabeeviz - March 6, 2011 at 8:45 pm

love the sleeve, would definitely be up for purchasing one from you!

8. Jmabeeviz - March 13, 2011 at 4:18 am

might be a weird request but can i get the first shot as a wall? Love it :)

9. Joshua Miller - March 15, 2011 at 1:26 am

I was considering keeping one of the iPad 2’s I got for resale, how has it helped/changed the way you worked?

I could use a lighter weight internet device.

10. Matt - March 15, 2011 at 9:16 am

Yeah, I’d also be interested to know how it’s changed your work habits and if it’s really useful. Considering picking up a 1st gen when the 2 is released in Australia.

11. dirtymouse - March 15, 2011 at 2:32 pm

all you need is a foof label and away you go :)

12. john - March 15, 2011 at 7:17 pm

I have added my work habits with the iPad to my post topic pile :)

13. Tim - March 17, 2011 at 1:46 am

Beautiful sleeve! If I owned an iPad, I would want one like it.