Solace

Solace

First off, thanks for the patience while I was traveling. I ended up using every minute of my time there to its fullest and was not left with much time to spend editing photos to share or writing. I will be sharing photos slowly over the next few weeks here and on flickr so rest your weary, wallpaper starved souls, new imagery is on its way.

I thought it would be good to start of strong with the image above, one that I did not think much of when I first saw it after shooting because it was made in a rush while it was raining, umbrella awkwardly tucked between my neck and my chin to avoid getting myself and cameras too wet. Much of the contrast was added in as it was actually over exposed as you can see by the nearly blown out highlights there on the roof. This lead to some frustrating sharpness woes as well as a hint of chromatic abrasion which I was thankfully able to remove a bit of later.

Technical problems aside, it was a perfect scenario to shoot. YoungDoo and I both noticed the shot at the same moment as someone was walking through this path ahead of us umbrella in hand and light gently pouring in from the side. My initial shot was taken with my Voigtlander on black and white film but YoungDoo was kind enough to offer herself as the model and walked ahead so I could try to recreate the moment we stumbled into.

Once you see it larger as you will notice the rain drops falling from the sky. While the rain got us a bit soggy it did come with a perk, nearly all of the other visitors cleared out of the palace leaving it nearly completely to us without the noisy tour groups to deal with. It was in a beautiful area inside Changdeok Palace called the Secret Garden.

The photo proved inexplicably popular over on Flickr, mostly due to it hitting the explore pages I suppose but still, surprised me, so I hope every one enjoys it here as well. Its good to be back to posting again. Its going to be a great summer around here so stick around to see whats yet to come.

Comments

1. Ville Järveläinen - June 19, 2011 at 10:42 am

It’s a magnificent capture. Thanks for sharing. Glad to have you back.

2. Mike - June 19, 2011 at 7:18 pm

wow, amazing wallpaper as always, looking foreword to the rest from your trip!

3. carlos cabezas - June 19, 2011 at 7:29 pm

Amazing Wallpaper, i can’t wait to put it in my computer,….Thanks J.

4. Deney - June 20, 2011 at 5:31 am

Great capture! Always looking forward to you images..

5. Kevin - June 20, 2011 at 7:56 am

Le sol est superbement éclairé, c’est magnifique.

6. I can get lost in pictures like this » Lemon Tree - June 21, 2011 at 5:55 pm

[…] (via Solace : fiftyfootshadows.net) […]

7. Ichikasuto - June 22, 2011 at 5:55 pm

100% love it.

8. Solace | Goodmorning & Goodnight - June 23, 2011 at 6:44 pm

[…] Fiftyfootshadows 0 like var gaJsHost = (("https:" == document.location.protocol) ? "https://ssl." : […]

9. Darío - July 8, 2011 at 8:39 pm

Magnific shot! And that light… thrilling moment! Kudos from Patagonia.

10. M. - July 12, 2011 at 5:11 am

“Strong”, as you described it, is the perfect word for this picture.

11. Drip : fiftyfootshadows.net - July 18, 2011 at 2:44 pm

[…] don’t last forever but they certainly are fun to shoot. This was taken on the same day as this favorite inside Changdeok Palace. Rainy days are not always all bad, just have to keep your gear a little […]

12. Incredible Wallpaper | Jeremy Gruszewski - December 3, 2011 at 7:05 pm