50ftvol5

50ft Radio Volume Five

The first thing that crosses my mind when I discover a great new song or artist is always, “wow, I have got to share this with other people.” It’s why I have always used my web presence to share my favorite new music with readers. The 50ft Radio series of mixes started as a way to simplify the process of sharing great music with others in a way that was similar to my days of making mix tapes for friends. With the great tools available today I am able to compile these in a way that encourages exploration of new artists.

Over the time they have been available they grew to be more popular than I could have imagined and the response was always overwhelmingly positive. It pleased me to no end to discover others were enjoying them so much. I have gotten a number of emails from people letting me know that the mixes lead them to purchase multiple albums based on songs they discovered in them. I am happy to help spread the word of so many wonderful musicians work in this way and hopefully I will be able to continue to compile these without complications.

Many of you may have noticed that the previous mixes were removed from public access a while back and that was simply my decision not to host them on my server any longer due to their increasing popularity. while I love the fact that so many people enjoy them I’d still like to keep things under the radar. After a lot of deliberation I have decided to use Mediafire to host the files. While the ads are a bit annoying at times it is a solid, fast(ish), and simple way to give access to the mixes without the burdens associated with hosting them on my servers. I hope you all can forgive me for the ads. I may or may not opt for a paid plan to hide the ads for everyone but for now I hope you don’t mind the inconvenience.

All that buisness out of the way, I am happy to announce the immediate availability of volume five of the series. While putting it together it grew to the point where I had to chop the list in half and offer up two sides to volume five so this time around you have two mixes of amazing music to explore. Two decidedly different environments, one full of great, mostly electronic music and the other a calm mix for these last days of summer.

I am pretty excited about them, and I am happy to finally make them available. The process of making these involves me dropping songs into a pool of great music and then slowly listening through the selected songs, picking the order of them, and making the tough decisions about what stays and what goes. I often listen to them over and over to make sure they all fit well together so it takes a good while to get them just right for you guys to enjoy. I highly suggest you listen to them before getting all music geek on the playlist. Maybe its just me but I always feel it makes a more satisfying first listen.

I ask that you not re-distribute these in any way shape or form. Enjoy it responsibly. If you find music you love then by all means, please support the artist. They cant keep doing what they do without it. These were created for the love of music and helping artists gain exposure to new ears not just senseless sharing. Its important to me and I thank you for your understanding. Enjoy!

Side A. (listSide B. (list)

Comments

1. Justin - September 12, 2011 at 6:07 pm

I would love to subscribe to your radio mixes somewhere. Have you thought about publishing them on Spotify? That way anyone with Spotify can just subscribe and get the new ones as you make them?

2. Sam Brentnall - September 12, 2011 at 6:33 pm

Really love what your doing with these and can’t wait to listen to them all fully!

Sam

3. Dante - September 12, 2011 at 6:39 pm

or 8tracks.com could be a good way to distribute these mixes…

4. Abhishek Mukherjee - September 13, 2011 at 10:13 am

There I go shopping on iTunes after listening to another 50ft Radio release. There goes my lunch budget.

5. karlyn - September 14, 2011 at 4:15 pm

Yay, more music! I’m so pleased!

6. Calvin - September 17, 2011 at 1:55 am

What a great mix! Thanks for helping me discover all this new music!

7. Martin - September 19, 2011 at 11:50 am

Your links are not available :s

8. john - September 19, 2011 at 2:57 pm

Im so happy to hear that everyone has been enjoying them. I will continue to look into alternative means to host them and a playlist on spotify, rdio, or even iTunes, is a great idea. The only trick with that is not all of these songs are available on these services. There are a few only available on a band camp page I believe. I can add all that are available though, thanks for the idea!

And Martin, I assume you mean the older mixes and I am getting those up and going today! Thanks for the patience :)

9. Fr. - October 5, 2011 at 10:06 am

Still here too, glad to see Vol. 5 out! I blogged a bit about the previous ones but have a very small readership.

50ft Radio is always on when friends stop by at home.

10. Johan - January 9, 2012 at 9:09 pm

Very nice indeed, lots of interesting music in a very nice package.

A curious question, how do you make those compilation volumes? It is a really awesome way to distribute music, and I would really like to know how to do it myself?

11. 50ft Radio Volume Five (Podcast B Side Bump) - July 23, 2016 at 11:53 pm

[…] Posted to add Side B of Volume 10 to the Podcast feed. Full details on Volume 10 can be found on its original post here. […]