pon_de_ring_desktops.jpg

Pon De Ring

For anyone not familiar, let me introduce you to the best donut in the world, the Pon de Ring, aka. the Chewisty. Well, it’s my favorite at least. They are delicate, soft, perfectly chewy donuts that you can easily pull apart into smaller bite size pieces. Available in a number of varieties such as chocolate, strawberry, or green tea they are not as sweet as many other donuts and don’t sit as heavy in the stomach.

They were inspired by a chewy cheese bun originally from Brazil called pao de queijo which uses tapioca as a starch to create its distinctive soft, chewy texture. I have actually tried these cheese buns which share the same texture but have a totally different taste to them. Obviously, the donut version does not contain cheese. I have also read that some alternate recipes use rice flour in place of tapioca to achieve the slightly chewy texture.

They are sold by Mister Donut in many asian countries under the Pon de Ring name and at Dunkin Donuts (in Asian regions) under the Chewisty name but are very similar in quality in my opinion. Both chains started out in the US. Mister Donut was a spin off created by one of the original founders of Dunkin Donuts and through time ended up being bought by the same parent corporation as Dunkin Donuts which is when they started to disappear throughout the US as they started to turn into Dunkin Donuts. Once Mister Donut was sold back into the Dunkin Donuts family they started to spread to Asian markets through local franchises using the name. The Pon de Ring was launched in 2003 in the Asian market to wide acclaim.

It seems a crime that these are not sold in the American market because they really are quite extraordinary and anyone with the chance to try one, do yourself a favor and don’t pass it up! From time to time I think to myself that surely someone out there has a recipe at least a little similar but I have yet to find a good one.

Comments

1. Paul YM - January 26, 2012 at 4:25 pm

I live in Japan, and these are the only donuts I buy from Mister Donut. Not only because they are awesomely delicious, but also because of the brilliant Pon de Lion character. http://bit.ly/cSSOf4

2. john - January 26, 2012 at 4:32 pm

Yes! I love that lion! I was craving one of their toy figures but was not up for the challenge of eating 50 or so donuts in one month to get one heh.

3. OreerO - January 26, 2012 at 9:49 pm

It is amazing that in Asia so much attention is given to the form of served food and its variety (e.g. specially when it goes to the types and tastes of drinks and as you mentioned donuts). Unfortunatelly I live in Europe and have to admit here food misses both. I do not say it is bad but you can not choose your favorite taste. Ususally its variety is limited.

4. Jorge Quinteros - January 27, 2012 at 2:49 am

I used to live in El Salvador between the age of 12-17 and Mister Donut was our straightforward equivalence of Dunkin Donuts in the country but I can’t say that I ever came across this particular pastry. Obviously it seems like they’re only produced in Asian countries but interested in trying it out along so many other foods when I get the opportunity to visit Japan.

5. Dave - January 28, 2012 at 9:42 am

I don’t know why, but somehow I only seem to truly (and utterly) enjoy Krispy Kreme’s original glaced. It’s like a tiny slice of sugary heaven.. +_+

6. Val - February 7, 2012 at 7:49 pm

donuthead :)

7. Matthew Guay - March 19, 2012 at 3:14 am

I just had my first Pon De Ring a couple weeks ago after seeing them at Mister Donuts for years. Can’t believe I didn’t try them sooner. They’re every bit as good, or even better than, you described!

8. Something New - March 28, 2012 at 3:32 am

[…] sure everyone remembers my favorite donut post, Pon De Ring, this time around I have a perfect complement to the other desktop, the mascot for said donut, Pon […]

9. 自転車で素敵なミスド店巡り!(Mister Donut Bike Ride Adventure 2012!) PART 2 | existentialdonuts - April 5, 2013 at 11:09 am

[…] For anyone who is further interested…my friend Will linked me to this interesting blog post that gives a bit more history on the ミスドのポンーデーリング.  Check it out here at, http://fiftyfootshadows.net/2012/01/26/pon-de-ring/ […]