hurry_up_desktops.jpg

Going Nowhere

Another photo from my time in Bali. While looking through images for a new one to share I started to think about how I manage to grow complacent when I stay in one place for too long without traveling or exploring somewhere new. I crave the creative energy new places are able to give me. While of course I get a bigger boost from traveling to a new country, I also discover the same renewed sense of focus when simply taking a hiking trip or riding a train to a nearby city. My frequent trips out to a nearby lake are what manage to keep me grounded while I can not spare the time or resources to travel further. I mention this simply to share my own feelings on the matter and encourage anyone feeling stuck emotionally or lackadaisical about the day to day to take some time off and explore somewhere new. In this time be sure not to over plan your time away. Leave at least 50 percent of your time wherever it is you go to chance. Without time like this you can never rally soak in that subtle rush from getting lost somewhere new.

Anyways, about the photo here. Spotted down one of dozens of little alleyways similar to the previous image shared here on 50ft, I noticed this highly simplified stairwell heading up to the roof of a building. The late afternoon sun provided for a beautiful light as it mixed in with the cold grey and blue shadows. Ironic though just after posting an article about minimal processing to images that this one would include a little more than I usually do. Some specific changes to the color were in order to help bring out the texture of the cement and amplify the highlights from the sun felt more or less essential to recreate the feeling of the moment captured. It was a shot that was taken in passing and thought little of at the time. I only just relized how nice it was yesterday when I discovered it hiding among other images in Aperture. Hopefully the little bit of extra effort in getting the color nice and rich will go appreciated. Due to the composition of the image it was a tricky one to crop into iPad and iPhone sizes but I did the best I could manage. Thanks, as always, for stopping by and enjoy!

Comments

1. Hayden - June 7, 2012 at 3:37 am

thx so much i get a new wallpaper now

2. Robbie - June 7, 2012 at 10:23 am

Your photos are great, but i really miss some bright walls like that “typewriter” or “mnml”. I want more bright summer wallpapers. Thanks again for your work.

3. koleoptero - June 7, 2012 at 2:28 pm

While you did some post-processing it looks very natural so it’s fine :P :D

4. Amis - June 11, 2012 at 3:34 pm

It is beautiful. Like!!

5. Sergio - June 20, 2012 at 7:06 am

very good photographs, greetings from Chile

6. Deavon Barlow - July 7, 2012 at 4:51 pm

Honestly, where would I be without your wallpapers. :-D

7. riQue - August 6, 2012 at 9:37 am

Could you post one more great Bali picture? :D

I want to make a canvas triptych for my living room and already downloaded “going nowhere” and “missed a spot”. I absolutely -love- your photo’s and would really like to use your amazing photo’s for this if that’s okay. :)

8. Jesper - August 8, 2012 at 7:31 am

Simply love your work. Hope to see some of your photos in 2880×1800 sometime soon, it would look fantastic on the new macbook :)

Greetings from Denmark!