loscil

Endless Falls

There are some days when circumstances lead  you to a serendipitous but short lived moment in a day where you are left with beautiful light from the afternoon sun, a cool breeze coming in through the window, and a relaxed, calm mind free of stress and worry. These times, in my opinion, are reason to celebrate with music fitting for a peaceful few minutes where you can simply breathe and think about anything at all.

When handed such perfect opportunities one should choose their music selection wisely, I prefer pulling out something ambient, something that will illuminate the calm that surrounds you. Today my choice was Loscils brilliant LP, Endless Falls. I have been a fan of his music for a long while now because of his ability to build rich ambient landscapes that don’t fall victim to being either too drone centric or too distractingly noisy. This album is one of my favorites of his with its rich yet simplistic sound design and emotive melodies that sneak in out of nowhere. The best ambient music can hold different potential moods simultaneously and in this regard I feel this album would feel right at home on a rainy day, cold winter night, or afternoon such as the one I am sitting in today with a beautiful sun setting slower now thanks to the calm brought on by this record.

In a planned ongoing series I will photograph and share thoughts on my favorite records new and old here on 50ft. The basic idea is to sit down, put on a record, open up a blank document, and start writing out a bit about the music playing and a bit about why it’s in my collection. At times they will end up being more matter of fact while other times, such as today, will be more spur of the moment and emotionally driven. I hope you guys enjoy the idea as well, I look forward to posting more of these in the future. I have not decided if I will make desktop images of the photos taken, I’m sure I will get requests so we will just see how that goes.

Comments

1. Gabe - July 27, 2013 at 3:53 pm

Let me be the first to request this as wallpaper then :-) Fantastic.

2. Hund - July 27, 2013 at 3:58 pm

w00t w00t!? No wallpaper? Gief wallpaper! :D

3. Claudius - July 27, 2013 at 4:25 pm

Great shot.

4. Rajiv - July 27, 2013 at 5:08 pm

Gonna add to the requests for a wallpaper of that image! :)

5. Blair - July 27, 2013 at 6:25 pm

One of my very favourite ambient albums. Also look into Christopher Bissonnette’s music John. Bliss.

6. Peter - July 29, 2013 at 7:01 pm

Love the angle… Wallpaper plz

7. Chris - July 29, 2013 at 10:51 pm

Another request for a wallpaper! Love the colours.

8. Will - July 30, 2013 at 4:19 am

Here´s request for a wallpaper also. Looking great!

9. Manabenz - July 30, 2013 at 4:57 pm

Can I put in another request for a wallpaper please? Love the colour, the angles and the sense of motion.

10. john - July 30, 2013 at 6:21 pm

Well, looks like demand is there, see above for the download and enjoy!

11. Ana - July 30, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Love this shot! Thanks for the wallpaper

12. Justin - July 30, 2013 at 7:26 pm

Wallpaper! Thanks so much. And loved the music find, great ambient stuff.

13. jinjej - August 7, 2013 at 2:23 pm

What kind of record player were you using?

14. john - August 7, 2013 at 2:25 pm

This is one of my Technics 1200’s.

15. jinjej - August 7, 2013 at 2:29 pm

Thanks for reply :)

16. Rachel - October 3, 2013 at 9:46 am

May I ask what the name/brand of your Vinyl player is?

Looking to replace my old one with a shiny new one

Also love the work, keep them coming!

17. Rachel - October 3, 2013 at 9:46 am

nevermind i just saw the post above, silly me =p