Rockport

Well, mostly Rockport. Late last year YoungDoo and I took a road trip north during which our friend Stephanie took us from Boston to her hometown Rockport, MA for a day. It’s a beautiful little town on an island that I would have loved to have a little more time to explore. It was a chilly afternoon when we visited so our time walking around town was brief but I did manage to find a few shots I thought my underused Hasselblad would be perfect for.

I only recently had these developed because we realized that we had a small stockpile of undeveloped film tucked away in various corners of our apartment that were long overdue for their chemical bath. After noticing slowly declining quality from our local film lab we decided to give Richard Photo Lab a shot after seeing the endless praise they seem to get in all corners of the film loving internet and we were not disappointed. While color film has officially broken that threshold of being modestly affordable to shoot too casually, I still feel its worth the investment. These days I reserve my film use for either paid jobs or while I am traveling. My day to day shooting has been narrowed down to being 95% digital which is why you have not seen as much film work out of me lately.

Richard Photo Lab is unique among many labs in that they take extra care in the scanning process to be sure you get the highest quality available from your negatives after developing. Their scanning work lends itself to a slightly over exposed negative or high-key style of shooting because of their tendency to treat the darkest point in each frame as a dark grey rather than absolute black.  This leaves any noise in the film to be amplified  in areas you may have underexposed but leaves you with that now classic “film look” that many of us love so much.

Their tale tell colors and tone have been popularized by a number of different photographers, primarily in the wedding/portrait market, and they also offer a service that allows you to tailor your scan results to fit your needs. For an exhaustive look into the company and their scanning have a look here at this thorough piece by Johnny Patience.

3 4 5 6 7 8

Comments

1. Steph - April 21, 2014 at 10:34 pm

I love these, John, especially the lobster boat in the inner harbor. And thanks for the lab recommendation. All my local favorites have shut down.

I demand you guys come back and spend more time by the shore.

2. Adam - April 22, 2014 at 6:54 am

your pictures and post is my everyday dose of inspiration. During my break time I often read and view the pictures a lot of times. They just simply take away all the exhaustion at work thank you for this hope to see more and more ..

3. youngdoo - April 22, 2014 at 1:19 pm

i love these. you’re so good with your hassy! <3

4. Lauren - April 23, 2014 at 1:27 pm

Wow, these are gorgeous! The detail and contrast are amazing… beautiful work all around. :)

5. Pavlos - April 23, 2014 at 5:18 pm

great job as always! ;)

6. sam - April 23, 2014 at 6:58 pm

will you be making any of these wallpapers? the first piece is especially beautiful.

7. architekt - April 24, 2014 at 12:55 am

Would love to see the background with the first photo.