Staircase Sunset

There we go. That’s better.

I love this moment here. A full moon rising as the sun sets behind me while in the near total silence of this space with its infinite skies. The short version of this story was I heard a song about the American west that made me miss it dearly and I somehow managed to find an opportunity to go alone for a bit. I soon found myself on a budget airline, then in a car rental for several hours zooming along the endless highways out of Vegas, and right up to one of my favorite places to simply be alive on planet earth.

Memories have a funny way of distorting over time but this was exactly as I remember it. As soon as I stepped out of the car, head still buzzing from the long drive to that point, my eyes swelled up with tears as pure silence overtook my senses. The most beautiful sound I had heard in years.

This photo is from near that spot. Not far from the highway but far enough to hide all of humanity for a short while. Maybe the photo will bring you a little moment of peace as well. Enjoy.

Comments

1. Michael Engard - January 18, 2024 at 9:09 am

It will never not be a delight when Fifty Foot Shadows shows up in my feed reader. Thanks for sharing a gorgeous moment.

2. Amy Sakurai - January 18, 2024 at 7:57 pm

Beautiful, serene, and thoughtful – as always, John. Thank you for brightening this corner of the internet!

3. ruanth - January 19, 2024 at 9:42 pm

I have been following your photography since late 2000’s, and I recently got a new laptop for work. I was so annoyed with the wallpaper and had such a hard time finding minimalist calm wallpapers that I gave up. After this morning coffee, I remembered your art, and as I hopefully typed the site, a smile came on knowing that you were still taking shots. Thank you for being faithful to your craft, from one creator to another.
    ruanth

4. Hund - January 21, 2024 at 9:55 am

The link to the file uses HTTP and not HTTPS. Some web browsers doesn’t accept that and will refuse to download the file. You should add the missing “s”. :)

5. John Carey - January 21, 2024 at 2:02 pm

Whoops! Totally right, fixed.

6. Will Musgrove - January 28, 2024 at 10:27 am

Beautiful! Enjoying this one.